Restore for auto renewable subscriptions required if server does it automatically?

Apple recommends proving a restore button for restoring subscription on new devices or when the user uninstalls and installs the app again. We have implemented a server to iTunes validatation and storing of the subscription information on our servers. This subscription information is automatically validated with iTunes on a regular basis. When a user signs into their account from any device, we automatically "restore" the subscription without a need for a separate button.

Is this a valid approach? Has anyone got their app approved using this approach?

Replies

This is may not be a valid approach for auto-renewables but is a valid approach for non-renewing subscriptions. You are requiring that the user log into your server to get the restore function working. That log in may require 'personal information' from the user. You may not require 'personal' information from the user for them to be able to use the autorenewable subscription as it is meant to be used (i.e. a restore function) so App Review might object. In the case of the non-renewing, you are responsible for implementing a copy/restore function and therefore you can ask for the user to log into a personal account to implement this function.

Thanks for the response.

In my case, the app is unusable without an account. They have to signup or login (with an existing browser-based account on the server). The App has no functionality without signing up. And the user cannot purchase a subscription without first signing in.

You are, of course, aware of the privacy guidelines in the Review Guidelines, particularly section 5.1.1:

(ii) If your app doesn’t include significant account-based features, let people use it without a log-in. Apps may not require users to enter personal information to function, except when directly relevant to the core functionality of the app or required by law. If your core app functionality is not related to a specific social network (e.g. Facebook, WeChat, Weibo, Twitter, etc.), you must provide access without a login or via another mechanism. Pulling basic profile information, sharing to the social network, or inviting friends to use the app are not considered core app functionality.

So your statement "the app is unusable without an account" may be another problem for you entirely.

This is not an issue with my app. It's core functionality is social. It's app for a social site called Listly: http://list.ly. Without the service, the app would be of no use to my current community of users.

Faced with the same problem

we have an app (the type is suitable for the social network) in it we store users on our backend and functioning of the application without our account is not possible

accordingly, we do not need a button to restore the purchase because we have both a synchronization between the devices and the purchase will be valid even after reinstalling the program or using it on another phone

you have passed the check without the button ???

can not find relevant sources

the documentation says that it needs it but I do not see its logic in our application

I think the button is needed for applications without its own backend so that apple cares about saving a purchase after removing the program(however, the same thought will be apple 😁 )

Hi, any updates on this? We have a similar app where the subscription is linked to the user account, so the "restoring" part is done every time the user logs in. Is a Restore button still necessary?