Battery Darin Worse on Beta 2?

Is anyone noticing a worse battery drain on watchOS 2b2 than on b1? Wondering if it's just me or if it's normal.

Replies

my battery is MUCH better on beta 2. beta 1 would be dead around end of the day and today its at 60%!

My battery life has improved incredibly. Yesterday before the new beta I was charging it back up around 2pm after 14 hours. Today I am at 46% and have been using it for 17 hours.

Agreed with others here. My battery performance had probably halved on my iPhone 6+ and Watch with the first betas of iOS9 & Watch OS2 but beta two has probably recovered around half of what I had lost in performance. Would be more likely to recommend it as a beta now.

yep.... mine is at 80 % after 3 hours and haven't done anything on it. watch was put on power reserve lastnight and within 10 minutes was dead.

I have been monitoring battery drain over the last couple days and it has been going down at an average of 7-8% per hour. Much better than Beta 1 but still not to the levels pre-beta. iPhone battery drain is now back to normal and actuallyeven better.

I'd say the battery drain is much improved over beta 1, I'm seeing abut 5% per hour with Diagnostics & Usage set to Automaically Send, 2.5 to 3% when set to Don't Send.

The battery drain associated with the iCloud API appears fixed so I re-enabled iCloud Drive and iCloud Backup, disabling these was one way of reducung battery drain in beta 1, and so far so good. The battery drain on my iPhone 6 is also much better in iOS 9 beta 2 than beta 1.

Here's a suggestion:

When I was using Beta 2 with a watch face that included the weather complication, it was draining very quickly. The weather complication seems all screwed up -- it kept giving me either the wrong weather or no weather at all.

happily, though, i switched on a lark to another watch face that had all the same complications -- except the weather one. and all of a sudden, the battery drain is nonexistant. i was on 90 percent at 10 am. it's now 3:30 pm and im at 81 percent. at this rate, ill barely be under 50 percent when i go to bed.

so obviously YMMV, but it may be that the weather complication -- and perhaps others -- are having problems connecting to the phone, and as they try repeatedly to connect, they drain the battery.

mike

My battery life is just as bad on beta 2. Really the most annouing part and I hate it. Any way to improve it?

The Weather app seems to be a cause of battery drain especially in geolocalised forecast, with trouble to find the place you are.

Now I'm trying a weather configuration without geolocalisation access (iphone privacy).

I'll try another watchface tomorrow that doesn't have weather on it. I just had to switch to power reserve mode because I'm at <10%. ****, and Weather is like my favorite one! Here's to hoping they get that fixed quickly!

Maybe the problem is with geolocation. I can't get speed or location with the Activity app and that seems to be draining a lot of power.

Like intraloop said, I just noticed that turning off the geolocalization in the iOS weather app (iPhone > Settings > Privacy >...) makes my battery last much much more. Yesterday after 6h of normal use i was at 40% today in the same conditions but without the weather geolocalization I have 80%.

Hope this helps!

Same condition here, mine only last less than 10 hours! Got full charge on 10 am, died on 6 pm!

The battery is draining very quick on my watch all of a sudden. It was okay for the first couple of days. I haven't tried getting rid of the complications. I did notice that the weather one stopped working, and now the sunset/sunrise complication is also not working. It would make sense if that was the cause. Put my watch on at 7:30AM and as of 1:00PM I'm at less than 30%.

So after reading this post I went to my clock face and disabled or changed the weather to some stocks, recharged to 100% and my perception is that the battery is lasting longer. I have no idea wether or not this apporach is actuallly working but it sure seems to be. Not to say that the battery doesn't drain faster, but it seems to be much better.

Would be interested to see if anyone else can reproduce this result and their thoughts.