Excessive Console logging on macOS Sierra

Is it normal that when I open the Console app on Sierra, it keeps spitting out tons of logs. Every other second I've got one or two screenfuls of logs from various system services like gamded, opendirectoryd, securityd, identityservicesd, apsd, wirelessproxd, trustd, useractivityd, CommCenter, com.apple.WebKit.Networking, com.apple.WebKit.Webcontent etc. and most of them do not make any sense to me, and I cannot google anything about them.

Even when I want to see the logs only for my own app, and I enter app's name in the Search field, I still see a lot of logs that are NOT produced by me, like some logs mentioning com.apple.cache_delete, keychain, TIC TLS Event, subsystem com.apple.securityd etc. I don't have anything to do with these services in my app!

On previous macOS versions it was quiet in the Console. You only got messages when something really happened. Now it's a total mess!

Or is it just a kind of problem on my machine? How do I fix it then?

Replies

Well - I can't tell you the fix - but I can share your pain. Basically the same set of processes delivering (if I bothered to count) hundreds of messages per minute. I can say a Mac OS reinstall (not clean) seems to have no effect - and support and Google are weirdly silent on the issue.

Same here. opendirectoryd seems to be particularly chatty. Hundreds of posts a second with the output messege

Client: <private>, UID: 1, EUID: 0, GID: 1, EGID: 1

I have gone around and around trying to quiet it down with various troubleshooting tips I found on google. Nothing has helped yet.

Did you try switching from "All Messages" to "Error and Faults"?

Does that work better for u?

Similar problem with a network isolated mac mini.

The CPU spends most of its time running opendirectoryd while I'm trying to run some heavy tasks.

Is there any workaround?

Ev. Drikos