Watch S2 Stuck update to WatchOs 3.1

yesterday my Apple Watch asked me to update to the latest build of watchOS. After an hour or two I checked in on my plugged in watch and it had the red exclamation point. Called Apple and got an overnight replacement, and thankful for that.

Today with my newly arrived Apple Watch I attempted to update my Apple Watch S2 to the latest build released today for Watchos 3.1.1. The newly received Apple Watch has a closed progress bar and has been sitting in this state for I'd say 2 hours now.

Is anyone else experiencing this? 2 different builds (one suggested yesterday and bricked Apple Watch, one released today and appears to be stuck).

I really don't want to go through the process of swapping out watches again.

Replies

I have the same issue with beta 3. Sat updating for 4 hrs on charge and no progress, now red exclamation mark. Can't get appointment at genius bar until next Tuesday. Wish there was a way to connect to mac and recover myself tbh. Be much quicker as I bet the store hasn't got Space Black in stock

same here hung after one full circle before the usual 2nd circle. Red exlimation mark and just took it in as I also could not get appointment for a week. They did take it though for repair so hope to have it back in a few days. Will not based on this thread try to run the Beta 3 again.

After two hours, perhaps a little more, with the watch on the charger, closed progress bar, I figured the update had gone bad. I took the watch off the charger and immediately got a red exclamation point. A reset did not fix this. Watch sent to Apple and a replacement was sent back to me within two days. Since so many others seem to be having this problem I'm going to wait until the next beta comes out before retrying.

Did you Get a new watch or the same one repaired?

Anyone that had the hang/red-bang on beta 3, tried beta 4? I don't want to have to go through another trip to apple store...

I had the same brick issue on beta 3. 2 days for a Genius appt, 2 days and a replacement was delivered. Beta 4 loaded without any issues.

I had the same issue. My watch got stuck when installing 3.1.1 beta 4 and I had to send it to Apple so they can reinstall the OS. It came back today after 10 days. I will not be installing beta updates again until I can confirm it doesn't brick devices - I don't want to wait a week for Apple to reinstall the OS. I wish they gave us the connector to connect our Watch to the Mac and reinstall via iTunes.