Simultaneous pictures with iPhone 7 Plus cameras

Hi,

I there a way to take a picture with the Telephoto lens and the Wideangle lens of the iPhone 7 Plus ?

I explored the different methods, but the best I can come with is to change the camera by removing the input AVCaptureDeviceTypeBuiltInTelephotoCamera and adding the input from AVCaptureDeviceTypeBuiltInWideangleCamera. This takes about 0.5 second however, I would like to capture it simultaneouly. From a hardware point of view, it should be possible since Apple is doing the same when using the AVCaptureDeviceTypeBuiltInDuoCamera.

Does anybody know other methods to capture a photo from both cameras at (almost) the same time?

Thanks!

Replies

I'll second that request. I've been trying to do the same thing. An api that allows us to put the camera in a stereo camera mode that captures both images at the exact same time would be extremely useful. I'm not sure how to get a specific user to see these messages, but user bford seems like a good person to ask about this.

The best way to formally log a feature request is to file an enhancement request at bugreport.apple.com. Business justification for the feature is helpful too (this feature would enable my app to ..... ). If you file a bug and then come back here and copy/paste the bug number, I'll see that it gets routed correctly.

Hi bford!

I have an app that wants to use pictures of both iPhone 7 plus cameras at the same time.

I have posted a bug report as you suggested:
https://bugreport.apple.com/web/?problemID=32323073

Could you do me a favor and make the issue get routed correctly?

Many thanks.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Werner

In IOS 11 Beta access to both cameras on a picture basis seems possible.
Is it also planned to be able to access the camera stream of both cameras in the near future?

Please give me support on this one
Regards

Correct, in iOS 11, there's a new feature in AVCapturePhotoOutput/AVCapturePhotoSettings called dualCameraDualPhotoDeliveryEnabled, which gives you both the wide and the tele images. Streaming wide and tele frames is not supported.