Quick Look plugin in MAS application

Hi folks,

preparing a macOS app for the Mac App Store is driving me crazy:

The app includes two plugins for Quick Look and Spotlight, whose are signed with the same certificate and bundled with the main app using Xcode's "Embed plugin" target setting. Works fine for a distribution outside of MAS, but today I tried to validate against the App Store. Only a gerneric archive is built and the Validate / Submit options are disabled. Apple describes the problem here, but without a real solution (or I'm too dumb to realize it):

The page mentiones to build a "single bundle application" ... but IMHO Quick Look and Spotlight plugins are always separate bundles, imbedded in the applications bundle.

Does that mean I cannot distribute an app with these plugins through the MAS? Or how to build an archive which can be validated / submitted?

Please help, I'm desperate, Mattes 😕

Accepted Reply

A guy in a German developer forum gave me the important hint ... after 24h struggling with certificates back and forth: When I looked into the resulting archive, the "Products" folder held an additional folder next to "Applications": A directory "Library" (with subdirectories for both plugins) was created due to corresponding build settings.

I deleted the setting "Installation directory" for both plugins and the archive process resulted in a macOS archive, which passed the validation test. Hurray!

Mattes

Replies

Sorry, "Embed Plugins" was a wrong option I somehow configured after the last release. A separate "Copy Files" build phase to the corresponding "Contents/Library" subfolder is the correct way to include both plugins in the app bundle ... unfortunately still resulting in a generic archive with no option to validate / submit.

What am I doing wrong, there are a lot of apps in MAS providing e.g. Quick Look support. Can't be that difficult... ****!

Mattes

A guy in a German developer forum gave me the important hint ... after 24h struggling with certificates back and forth: When I looked into the resulting archive, the "Products" folder held an additional folder next to "Applications": A directory "Library" (with subdirectories for both plugins) was created due to corresponding build settings.

I deleted the setting "Installation directory" for both plugins and the archive process resulted in a macOS archive, which passed the validation test. Hurray!

Mattes