IB using a lot of CPU and unusably slow in 8.1

In the 8.1 GM version of Xcode, Interface Builder is incredibly slow up to the point that it is basically unusable. Restarting Xcode will help from time to time, but after using it for a bit, it goes back to being unbearably slow. When looking at Activity Monitor, I see "Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool" taking up a lot of CPU processing power, even when Xcode is not building and I am not doing anything. Hopefully this can be fixed before the actual release.

Accepted Reply

One thing I started noticing now is that changing "Simulated Metrics" for the root view of a nib file might have something to do with it. If I have it on inferred or none, it works fine. As soon as I change it to "Opague Navigation Bar" Interface Builder starts to be come unusable.

Replies

You not the one. I have same troubles after updated to XCode 8.1 from AppStore

I am also experiencing this. Interface builder is practically unusable after upgrading to XCode 8.1.

It is unusable if you are trying to use interface builder, come on Apple, please don't release something that kills our productivity.

This started with Xcode 8.1, and is not fixed in 8.2beta.

I am COMPLETELY unable to continue with development at this time! I have deadlines!

Opening any storyboard causes IB to slow to a crawl, and after a few minutes causes Xcode to hang completely.

I have tried several useless suggestions from stack overflow, to no avail.

How can Apple ship something this broken?!

Me, too. Especially when selecting "View as iPhone 7".

I'm completely unable to work anymore. ***

For most storyboards, it seems to work fine for me. However, if I try to edit one of those fancy new touch bars in IB, then it slows to an absolute crawl. Have you folks all filed bug reports about what you're seeing? After all, unless someone says something, it's not going to get fixed!

I have exactly the same problem. IB is not usable anymore. The only thing I'm able to do is force quit Xcode.

Same problem. Completely unusable.

Apple software quality is deteriorating rapidly.

OSX 10.11.6

One thing I started noticing now is that changing "Simulated Metrics" for the root view of a nib file might have something to do with it. If I have it on inferred or none, it works fine. As soon as I change it to "Opague Navigation Bar" Interface Builder starts to be come unusable.

Had the same issue. Cleaning up project, xcode and restarting didn't help.

What I did was:

- uninstall XCode

- update to OSX Sierra

- install XCode

This solved my issue brilliantly. Looks like the trick is to upgrade to Sierra. Hope this helps someone!

David

Gentlemen, please create bug reports.

I've changed "Opague Navigation Bar" to "Inferred" and now at least i can edit my views! Thank you so much.

Done!

Same problem for me and I'm already on Sierra.

Worked for me too! Thanks so much for the workaround, this saved my whole day.