Hotspot Helper Temporary Fail response

When connecting Wi-Fi networks via Hotspot Helper, we sometimes need to respond with temporary fail, e.g. the network has no internet after authentication. This disconnects the network but it is unclear to me when we should expect a new attempt to connect to that network.

It seems that a power cycle of the Wi-Fi is needed to get out of that state?

In a multi-AP, single SSID environment, a single AP may have an issue with no backhaul. If we are the Hotspot Helper and sigining into that network but find we are connected to a bad AP then we respond with a Temporary Fail. But then I would expect that as I move around within that multi-AP environment new connection attempts are made but they don't seem to be.

In iOS9, it was kind of OK because when the screen locked Wi-Fi was disabled and when the device was woken up the SSID which we failed was attempted again, this time in a new location and connects through to success. Now in iOS10 it seems that the Wi-Fi is no longer disabled/enabled on screen activity so we seem to be completely locked out of that SSID untli the user power cycles the radio or another SSID is connected in the interim.

So my questions are

- Is there documentation which I have missed to explain when the effect of a temporary fail wares off?

- What would be the intended use of temporary fail in the case of a multi-AP, single SSID network if it ends up blocking the whole network?

- Have I understood correctly that iOS10 no longer disconnects WiFi on screen activity?

Any suggestions for how to disallow a network for a single AP or a limited time would be appreciated.

Replies

bump....

I responded on your other thread.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"