WKWebView white-screen after loading content

We have a native app that embeds WKWebView to display content. It is used to display a series of interactive activities which are drawn in a canvas element.

After spending some time in the app, and loading a number of resources, we experience a white screen, indicating that the process has crashed (crashlog here). We’ve made a number of changes to our app to try and help reduce the heap size, to no avail.

The crash is repeatable and always happens at the exact same time within the app. The app performs better in iOS 9 -- this only happens at this time in iOS 10, including the 10.1 beta (14B55c).

Does this crash log look familiar to anyone? Here's the topline:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xfffffff0

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Triggered by Thread: 0

Thank you!

Replies

It’s hard to be 100% sure but I believe this relates to a known bug in WebKit (r. 27858129). A reproducible case would be really appreciated. If you can file a bug report with a project that reproduces the issue, that’d be fab.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Any updates? we are encountering similar issue, and it's really urgent.

From safari developer tools I can see full dom structure and i was able to invoke native functions (eg. window.bridge.goBack()) through the console, everything seems working well but on the app, it's just blank.

https://s18.postimg.org/w4h2162rt/white_screen.png

Do you see the same sort of crash that mbargar-cainc saw? If so, can you post an example crash report?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hi eskimo,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I checked in diagnosis & usage, no crash reports.

We are using an iPhone 6, 10.0.2.

Anything you need besides those, please let me know hanhaify#msn.com

Thanks a lot,

We are having a similar issue. Our application worked fine until IOS 10 came along.

Our experience is the same in that we can't reproduce by specific actions. The white screen happens randomly, usually within half hour of using the app. We have done refactoring to do better memory cleanup which has extended the occurance past half hour so it certainly seems like a memory/heap issue.

Eskimo can you send a link to defect 27858129? The link in the post is just back to this article.

Thanks,

Dan

Eskimo can you send a link to defect 27858129?

No. In general you can’t see information about bugs unless you filed them.

The link in the post is just back to this article.

Yeah, I know, sorry. DevForums strips non-HTTP[S] links, alas. I leave them in because it’s quite convenient for me, but I should probably find a way to strip them out.

ps I just had a look at the state of 27858129 and there’s nothing new to report on that front.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Eskimo can you provide any update on the logged defect? We have done a bunch of work to our application but still see the same results.

can you provide any update on the logged defect?

Nothing new to report here.

It would be great if you filed your own bug about this, preferable with a minimal project that reproduces the problem (even if it only reproduces the problem occasionally). Either your bug will provide enough insight that it’ll be investigated independently, which would be cool, or it’ll be closed as a dup of 27858129, in which case you’ll be able to see the state of the original.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

I logged a bug for this and included crash logs where each file maps to the exact time we saw each WSOD crash in Safari on the iPad so hopefully that helps the dev team pinoint the issue. The bug is 31659884

Have you solved this problem? I'm encountering the same issue.

I'm encountering the same issue. There's full dom structure, but the webView is blank.

Is App Sandbox turned on your app's capabilities?

This seems to be fixed as of today’s update to Safari 12.0.1. Hooray 😃