os sierra eating up kernel_task when using external monitor via HDMI

Just updated to the LATEST *STABLE* release (10.12) on my mb pro retina early 2013 that was working perfectly fine with 10.11. Now when I connect my external monitor kernel_task eats up 500% of CPU. Of course because of the genius apple upgrade system I cannot revert back.

The same problem is references in the BETA release here https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/49163 ?? Must have enough time to test this BASIC functionality before releasing it no ?

What is wrong with you Apple ? Headphoneless smartphone and now this ?

Replies

I was facing this problem a lot.My CPU usage would reach above 1000 percent and most of it would be by Kernel_task. Whenever we connect second display or use heavy applications ,it requires more gpu/cpu power so our computer heats up more. If the temperature rises too high, Mac Os will run a dummy process "Kernel_task" to reserve cpu usage but keep it idle to reduce load of cpu and protect the computer from burning. As the temperature lowers it will release the resources. The problem in my case was accumulation of dust in the CPU and GPU fan.It had probably sucked it through the side vents. I cleaned it and it works like breeze. I even changed the thermal paste on my CPU and GPU as it had become hard over time and excessive heating. Hope this helps.