What is IDECacheDeleteAppExtension process for?

It is top of CPU usage on on iMac27 but absent on my MacBook Pro - both running Sierra 10.12. It is typically around 15-40% and 30% more CPU Time than kernel_task (next highest) over an extended period.

Google search does not bring up very much and nothing useful that I could find...

Replies

CacheDelete is a subsystem within macOS that cleans up disk space in response to high-level demand for that space. It’s the back end to the very-rarely-used

CSDiskSpaceStartRecovery
API. CacheDelete has a plug-in mechanism whereby various system components can plug in to recover disk space associated with that component. It looks like Xcode ships with an app extension that implements such a plug-in:
$ find /Applications/Xcode.app -name IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex

IMPORTANT While

CSDiskSpaceStartRecovery
is public API, this plug-in mechanism is not.

I don’t know why this plug-in would be burning through CPU but the general strategy for things like this is:

• file a bug containing a

sysdiagnose
    log
  • run

sample
    and
    fs_usage
    against the offending process to see if you can spot any obvious cause

Please post your bug number here, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Same problem here. Deleting the Xcode cache file helps.

rm -rf ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData

The following is the error log in console:

22:07:48.613380 +0800
IDECacheDeleteAppExtension
DVTCacheDelete: Failed to read mod date for:
/***/***/***.xcodeproj
Error: (null)

Thanks @forkon and @eskimo - I followed forkon's advice and checked the system log and found lots of messages about the xcode cache that I have removed and now everything seems fine. If/when this comes back I will take Eskimo's adivce and file the radar.

My errors were pointing to something in /Applications/Xcode.app, so I just deleted Xcode.