iMessage app customization

I want to know just the extent to which I can customize an iMessage app.

For instance, I want to provide limited stickers to users that get depleted as they send them in messages. But on the other end, contacts recieving those stickers add them to their sticker collection. This obviously requires some heavy customization that I wonder if its possible with the imessage SDK?

Replies

One problem I see is that you COULD detect when someone taps a particular sticker and readies it to send, but I don't think you can actually test to see if it got sent. So if the user taps it and then decides, "nevermind", you might end up deducting them unnecessarily. But then, hey, maybe the users learn they shouldn't initiate sending a sticker.

On the recieving end, you're assuming the person getting the sticker already has the app installed right? Because if not, that functionality you describe isn't going to work obviously.

Plus I haven't come across anything that identifies a particular sticker when recieved (maybe that does exist though). You might have to do that trickiness by sending an MSMessage not MSSticker. In which case you can pass around URL variables that would identify what's being sent. But that could work, so for example, your button to send to a friend might simply say "Give a friend 20 Dog Stickers", so its not actually sending a sticker but a message that person gets which unlocks the stickers.

Anyway, my two cents. I've taught some iMessage lessons by the way, so I do think you're in the realm of possibilities.

Anyway to atleast know what sticker was selected at array[index]? There doesnt appear to be a didSelectItem method for MSStickerBrowserView

I haven't seen anything like that either. You could use UIButtons to insert the stickers into the conversation, but you lose the nice drag functionality of the sticker.

You tried deleting the app off your device right?