Xcode 8 simulator performance

Has anyone else noticed very "laggy" iOS simulator after the Xcode 8 update and/or after installing macOS Sierra?

Not that it matters much as simulator performance is irrelevant, i just find it a bit annoying.

David

Replies

I ecnountered the exact same thing after upgrading to sierra.

When I had XCode 8 on el-capitan it worked OK.

Did you find a fix to this issue?

I did not. The whole Xcode 8 release + Sierra has so far been a disaster. SourceKit crashing all the time also. However, i have noticed the same performance issues in other GPU accellerated programs. So far the new Xcode versions are not solving the issue.

I have been getting this problem on 3 different MacBook Pros with Xcode 8. One of them is a 2013 with 8GB of ram running El Capitan, the other two are 2015 MacBook Pros, one running Sierra and the other running El Capitan, both with 16GB of ram. The simulator runs so slow that it is practically unusable. If a top of the line MacBook Pro cannot run an IOS app that is deffinitly a problem with the simulator.

I'm also meeting this issue on my Macbook 12 inch 2016. Not sure if it was because of mac 12 power or the software.

Does anyone have solution?

I'm suffering from the same problems as well.

After I upgraded to Sierra the performance in the iOS Simulator is horrible. I tried to run Xcode 7.x without any luck.

These are my specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processor: 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB and Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Same for me. The iPhone 7 simulator is extremely laggy. Gestural actions are down to 1-2 frames per second on simulator and ~60fps on the real device. Even pushing a VC on a navigation controller shows visible lag in the simulator.

My specs are:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP114.0172.B09

SMC Version (system): 2.30f2

Well, the iphone simulator is also extremely laggy when running on my macbook pro retina 13inch 2015.

I wonder if Apple will take any actions?

Yes, this is something with the simulator, most definitely

Anyone succeeded in resolving this yet? Driving me nuts.

Also experiencing poor performance after the upgrade to Xcode 8/iOS 10 simulator. I'm pretty sure the problem was there even before upgrading to macOS Sierra (I remember hoping that the upgrade would fix the issue but it didn't). Reseting all simulators did not help...

i'm still experiencing this, did anyone find a solution?

I just got my new 2016 MacBook Pro last week (15 inch base model) to upgrade from my old 2008 MacBook Pro. I was very dissapointed when I ran an app in Xcode and found out the simulators are just as slow as they are on my 8 year old MacBook Pro 😟

I might have found a correlation between OSX Sierra and the Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics card.

Two other users with the same specs have the same problem as me, but a couple of other people on OSX Sierra with a different graphics card is working just fine.

Anyone else using Intel Iris Pro with the same issues?

Yes, MacBook Pro (Retina 13 Zoll, Anfang 2015), Intel Core i5 2,7 GHz, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Starting the simulator is very slow, especially swithcin between iOS Devices (e.g. from iPhone 7 to 7 Plus) is very slow.

Also search for a text over all files in a project takes very long.

I don't think this is graphics hardware related. My issue arose when going from a mid 2012 MacBook Pro, upgrading either to Sierra or Xcode 8. I just purchased a 2016 MacBoo Pro, and the issue remains.

I have filed a radar for this also, because i cannot seem to get the attention of anyone at Apple