Audio Fade In Issue On iPhone 7

I am seeing an audio fade in issue on iOS 10 and iPhone 7. When audio begins it fades in from very low to set volume over a period of 5+ seconds or so. Apps that use short audio prompts have greatly reduced volume as there is not time for the volume to reach the set value.

I am not seeing this with iOS 10 on either iPhone 5 or 6. So far only on iPhone 7.

Any ideas?

Replies

The fade in you're experiencing with iOS 10 on the newer device is suppose to happen. But only when the audio system is initialized in the speaker route after a previous receiver route. Assume you're on a phone call (receiver up to your ear) but were previously listening to music - the phone call ends - you don't want the music to start up again and immediately blast audio into your ear when the call interruption ends and the music player resumes - so, that first time audio starts back up, a fade in will happen. If you've found that this isn't the case or the feature doesn't behave in a way that's intuitive, please file a bug report letting us know how we can refine the user experience.

I can understand that, but the fade only happens on iOS 10 and iPhone 7. IP5 and IP6 do not have a fade in time in either IOS9 or iOS10. It seems odd that its a hardware change rather than a software change.

The issue for me is how to avoid this, as many apps suffer with this fade. This really affects short sound alerts, as the volume never reaches anywhere near the set volume before the sound is over.

Correct, the fade will indeed happen only on iPhone 7 because on iPhone 7 the "receiver" speaker is used for full music playback - it's not on the older devices. You should see if the route description for the previous route key is indeed the receiver route when you get route change notifications and that's when you experience the fade-in.

Our app suffers from this problem as well.

Our app is a PTT app and our voice bursts are short. This feature made our app unusable since the voice burst usually ends before the fade in finishes.

A easy fix for Apple would be to implement fade in on the earpiece speaker only and not the other speaker.

Any resolution for this issue? I was expecting this will be solved with the IOS 10.1 update!! but of course not... 😟

It is a struggle everytime I try listen to whatsapp voice notes ...

What's the bug # you filed for this?

My iphone 7 audio is fading in and out randomly when I listen to Pandora....