6 Replies
      Latest reply on Apr 1, 2019 6:32 PM by PaulSolt
      skaak Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi there,

I just started working on XCode 8, as I suppose a lot of others have done too ... Problem is that it now auto-indent my Objective C class properties and methods. This is all fine and dandy, but I am used to the previous way of doing things, and a lot of example code out there also works that way. I find this new auto-indent a bit too eager and want to switch it off, while retaining the 'usual' indenting on curly braces as before. How do I do this?

TIA

MG

• Re: Disable auto-indent of properties and methods
          skaak Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Well ... maybe I just needed to reboot the newly installed Xcode.

Yesterday it was extremely annoying due to the problem I encountered but today it simply went away.

I had to rub my eyes and go back to some code I created yesterday to convince myself it was not just a dream. I have not updated Xcode or made any configuration changes, but, voila, today it is indenting correctly. I have a sample of code to prove it, which I've pasted in here, but the message got lost through the formatting this applies. So you just have to believe me ...

KGBird Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I ran into this same issue today.  Whenever I entered a new Objective-C property or a new method, Xcode would indent it.  This is new and different behavior from what I experienced over the past 8 years.  After I quit Xcode and restarted it, Xcode no longer indented new properties and methods that I entered.  This much just be a bug in Xcode.

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (13,965 points)

Did you go to Xcode/Prefs/Text Editing/Indentation and deselect/disable auto?

KGBird Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Nope.  I haven't made any changes to any of thoise settings at all.  I didn't even know those settings existed  All I can tell you is that an hour ago, if I put the cursor to the right of the semicolon that ended a property and pressed Return, the new line would be indented.  If I entered something like"- (void) foo {" Xcode would indent the method definition.  After quitting and reopening Xcode, that no longer happens.  My symptoms sound exactly like what skaak encountered.  I don't use Xcode much these days.  I just went into fix a bug.  I added a new property and a method and the automatic indenting was driving me crazy.  I kept having to do Cmd-[.  After restarting Xcode I no longer have to do that.  I did check those settings and they  are all checked but I never touched them.  I assume all checked is the default.  It's not clear where those settings are applied.  I do want auto indentation for if statements, for statements, etc.  It's just that for 8 years my properties and methods have been left aligned, not indented inside the @interface or @implementation sections but Xcode was all of sudden indenting them.