Deferred locations broken on iOS 10 - was working fine on iOS 9.*

Has anyone else experienced kCLErrorDeferredFailed on iOS 10.0.1? I have the GM Seed installed and my app, that worked fine before now immediately goes into didFinishDeferredUpdatesWithError with kCLErrorDeferredFailed (no details, thanks Apple) right after I do allowDeferredLocationUpdatesUntilTraveled::

Replies

I'm experiencing the same issue (and my app was working fine on iOS 9 too). My app is constantly getting deferredFailed error. Regular location updates work fine.

same problem here, works fine in iOS 8

I simply see [CLLocationManager deferredLocationUpdatesAvailable] returning NO on a device (6s) which definitely supported this mode before the iOS 10 update. Is this a bug or did Apple silently remove this feature from iOS?

We are seeing the same issue in our apps, deferredLocationUpdatesAvailable() always returns false under iOS 10.0.2 and activating deferred locations causes didFinishDeferredUpdatesWithError to be called with kCLErrorDeferredFailed

Hi, same problem to me, and code works fine on IOS9.3 (have just tested it on a real device)

I also saw, that on IOS 10 from time to time the updates in background are delivered deferred, even if the location Manager previously stated that defereed updates are not available...

The problem appears to persist through iOS 10.1 and 10.2. According to discussion on Stackoverflow, several people (including myself) have filed bug reports, which were all closed as "duplicates". The original one appears to be still open, but nothing has happened for a long time now.

I would really appreaciate a comment from Apple on this. Is "deferred location updates" a feature that was silently abandoned?

YES! .. it's a shame that there is no reaction from Apple...

so many talks at so many WWDCs about reducing power consumption and than such an easy to recocnisable error ... and no fix over several releases ...

or is it really a "silent" abandon?? ... I do not think so .. can't believe it

or is there possible a magic trick? ... I didn't found it so far. If there is such trick.. PLEASE tell!!!!

6 months, 2 minor iOS releases and still no fix? Seriously? I have no words to describe my disappointment.

Still does not work in 10.3.

Has anyone tried on iOS 11?

I have tried on iOS 11, and still it doesn't work yet. Has any one else tried ?

One year later and no change: same behaviour as tompson reported two years ago.