iMessages extension submission issues about push notifications

As the title says, I submited yesterday my App with an iMessages extension. A few minutes later I received an email stating that

Missing Push Notification Entitlement - Your app includes an API for Apple's Push Notification service, but the aps-environment entitlement is missing from the app's signature. To resolve this, make sure your App ID is enabled for push notification in the Provisioning Portal. Then, sign your app with a distribution provisioning profile that includes the aps-environment entitlement. This will create the correct signature, and you can resubmit your app. See "Provisioning and Development" in the Local and Push Notification Programming Guide for more information. If your app does not use the Apple Push Notification service, no action is required. You may remove the API from future submissions to stop this warning. If you use a third-party framework, you may need to contact the developer for information on removing the API.

I use Push Notifications on my App (via a third-party framework) and my App ID (for the App) is configured for push notifications but my App ID for the Messages Extension is not. I haven't had any problem with Push Notifications before nor I have changed anything about this feature so I'm wondering if this warning is about the missing entiltement in the Messages Extension. Do I need to configure Push Notifications on a Messages Extension even if it's shipped with an App or should I ignore this issue?

Accepted Reply

This is likely the change in Xcode 8 that's called out in the release notes:

Xcode 8 does not automatically copy the aps-environment entitlement from provisioning profiles at build time. This behavior is intentional. To use this entitlement, either enable Push Notifications in the project editor’s Capabilities pane, or manually add the entitlement to your entitlements file. (28076333)

Replies

This is likely the change in Xcode 8 that's called out in the release notes:

Xcode 8 does not automatically copy the aps-environment entitlement from provisioning profiles at build time. This behavior is intentional. To use this entitlement, either enable Push Notifications in the project editor’s Capabilities pane, or manually add the entitlement to your entitlements file. (28076333)