top shelf image wide

Whats the "top shelf image wide" for that XCode 8 added to my tvOS project?

Replies

I'm wondering the same thing. What are the dimensions of it? I cannot find any info on it.

Please refer to the tvOS HIG section on Top Shelf.

The resolution required appears to be 2320px by 720px

It's unclear why this new size is required or what it's used for...

plus itunes connect wants me to add a plist key:

ERROR ITMS-90513: "Missing Info.plist Key. Your app's Info.plist in 'Payload/AccuWeatherTV.app' must contain the 'TVTopShelfImage.TVTopShelfPrimaryImageWide' key."

I don't see any clear description about this new Top Shelf Image Wide. What is the difference between the old Top Shelf Image? Are both needed? Is the old one replaced by the new Wide Top Shelf Image? Why does itunes connect flag an error about a missing key in the plist file?

Bump. I get the same error reported by SunnyLlama. I do appreciate the link to the HIG, but I've already read this and see nothing about a wide top shelf image. As mentioned by tmm1, curiously missing from the top shelf section is a description of how it's used. In the author's defense, I don't think we should need a description; the image should be clear enough, and it was in the past. However, now that we have a size of 2320 x 720 (compare with 1920 x 720), it would be nice to have some explanation what happens to these extra pixels, what the safe zones are, etc.

My designers need more information about this new size:

1. Is the old 1920x720 still required?

2. Since the new size is wider than an HD screen, what is the safe zone for drawing in it?

3. In what context will this image be used?

We have an update pending that is required because of issues we found when running against tvos 10, so time is of the essense.

Still seems to be no information on this in the HIG link even now that tvOS 10 is live? What is going on here, I can't even upload a beta build without this mysterious image that isn't documented.

I don't have an explanation, the docs for tvOS 10 are MIA, but the fix is simple. Try using the .xcassets thing instead of adding images to your Resources folder. In the assets you will notice that both the old top shelf image and the new wide image are required in Xcode 8. If you add the wide image it will replace the old image on your TV screen and the required new key is automatically added to the app .plist. That's it.

Hi,

We have added a release note in the tvOS 10.1 beta about this to help clarify:

tvOS apps with a deployment target of tvOS 10.0 or greater that use a Top Shelf Extension will now require a “Top Shelf Image Wide” (2320x720) image in the asset catalog when submitting to the App Store.

tvOS apps with a deployment target of tvOS 9.0 or greater that use a Top Shelf Extension now require both a "Top Shelf Image Wide” (2320x720) and "Top Shelf Image” (1920x720) image in the asset catalog when submitting to the App Store.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of BTH Down vote reply of BTH

I am using both Top shelf image wide and Top shelf image of size 2320x720 and 1920x720 respectively.

But the image of top shelf tray in tvOS10 is getting trimmed from edges and the image is tvOS9 is working as expected.

Please let me what is the issue?

How did you add the images to your project? Try using the .xassets option, rebuild, delete the app on the AppleTV, restart, reinstall.

I too was confused for the reasoning, but I noticed something that I think may explain it. When viewing top shelf content if you swipe to another top shelf app the image slides to the side as it transitions. Perhaps this is the reason for the extra wide banner, so there is content to dispaly while it transitions.

Also it seems the top shelf preview of apps moved to app folders requires the wide image format.

I already included those images on the project and I still get the same error

ERROR ITMS-90513: "Missing Info.plist Key. Your app's Info.plist must contain the 'TVTopShelfImage.TVTopShelfPrimaryImage' key."

the images are 2 jpegs for each accordingly

“Top Shelf Image Wide” (2320x720)

"Top Shelf Image” (1920x720)