Partially free Apple hosted in-app purchase

Our app has packages of content, some of which is free and the balance is unlocked with IAP. The content is currently in iCloud key-value storage. They're downloaded in the background and the user can take advantage of the free part without an update to the app. They're non-renewable since once they're purchased they don't expire. We're looking into having the content hosted by Apple. The 'Delivering products' section of the programming guide https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/StoreKitGuide/Chapters/DeliverProduct.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008267-CH5-SW3 indicates that the content is downloaded after the purchase. The "Hosting non-consumable Products" of the IAP configuration guide https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnectInAppPurchase_Guide/Chapters/CreatingInAppPurchaseProducts.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40013727-CH3-SW4 says that the system downloads the content in the background even if the app isn't running. How can both be true? Is it possible to have an IAP that unlocks part of the content that is hosted by Apple or are thees conflicting requirements?

Thanks

Mike

Accepted Reply

You ask how can:

1) the content is downloaded after the purchase.

and

2) the system downloads the content in the background even if the app isn't running.

After you make the purchase the system initiates the download in the foreground. If you leave foreground, it continues the download in the background. There is a way of monitoring how much of the content has been downloaded.

The you ask:

Is it possible to have an IAP that unlocks part of the content that is hosted by Apple?

You have to 'buy' the content that is hosted by Apple. You do that using free and not-free IAPs.

Replies

You ask how can:

1) the content is downloaded after the purchase.

and

2) the system downloads the content in the background even if the app isn't running.

After you make the purchase the system initiates the download in the foreground. If you leave foreground, it continues the download in the background. There is a way of monitoring how much of the content has been downloaded.

The you ask:

Is it possible to have an IAP that unlocks part of the content that is hosted by Apple?

You have to 'buy' the content that is hosted by Apple. You do that using free and not-free IAPs.

@PBK, thanks or the reply. You responded:

So I could use a free one to get the content downloaded and then it would be visible in my app and the user could take advantage of the free part, and I would use a nont-free IAP to unlock the rest of the content. Do I have that right?

Thanks

Mike

yes