Xcode 8.0 beta 6 does not support iPhone 4/4S

When I attempt to run my app, which targets iOS 7.1, on my iPhone 4 I get the following message:

Could not locate device support files.

This iPhone 4 is running iOS 7.1.2 (11D257), which may not be supported by this version of Xcode

I understand that iOS 10 will not support either the iPhone 4 (latest supported version is 7.1.2) or the iPhone 4s (latest supported version is 9.3.4). However, XCode 8 appears to no longer support the iPhone 4/4S as there aren't any simulators for these devices.

Since Xcode 8 does not support the iPhone 4/4S, there is no way to test the code on these devices. Thus, I have to specify that iOS 10 is the minimum supported version to officially exclude this device type from my app.

Is this Apple's intent, to EOL the iPhone 4/4s devices? Is there a work around for this? This is NOT good as there are a substantial number of these devices still in use worldwide.

Any help would be much appreciated!

It's ridiculous that Apple didn't answer this question.

Xcode 8.x only supports iOS 8 or later. So yes, the iPhone 4 is no longer supported, but the iPhone 4S is still supported if it's running iOS 8-9.

Go to Xcode > Preferences > Components > Simulators. There you will find a list of iOS simulators to download (iOS 8.1 or later for me). Still, it's recommended that you also have an actual device (e.g., iPhone 4S) to test your app.

the iPhone 4 is end of life. Since swift 3 does not support iOS 7.

If you are using Xcode 8.2.* you can still manualy set the deplyment target to 7.1 (I did not try a lower version).

You can't run the app derctly on the device, thus the only way to test it is to create a AdHoc and install it on the the device running iOS 7.

After Xcode 8.3 and swift 3 you minimal deployment target is iOS 8.

We have many app live with different kind of user, the iOS 7 user account for about 0.8% of user and we are therefor dropping support for iOS 7 with new versions of our apps.

Xcode 8.0 beta 6 does not support iPhone 4/4S

Q