iOS 10 beta 6 is causing severe battery drain

Is anyone else experiencing severe battery drain issues with IOS 10 beta 6? I've been home sick for two days so I started reading to take my mind off how I felt. Yesterday my iPhone was at 100% charged all night. I started reading at 7:01 (lol hey I have a photographic memory - shoot me). By 7:33 I was at 88%. I filed a bug report took 6 minutes. Now I was at 84%. In just 6 minutes? I continued to read. In just 3 hours a message came on "turning on battery saving". What? 11 minutes later I was at 4%. So I grabbed my iPad Pro "mini" (that's what we call the 9" model. GRIN ). Same thing happened. By late afternoon it was dead. Had to openin my iPad mini 4... you get the picture. When my roommate got home from Walgreens - he's a pharmacy manager... he apologized profusely for not calling or texting to see if I was ok or needed anything. He said he pulled his phone out at 1;45 (it had not been used all day they're not allowed phones in the pharmacy. At 1:45 it was literally dead which stop his watch too. When he walked in the house and plugged in his phone it started beeping like crazy - 40 texts from me, his boss, his bosses boss - all missed because his phone died. Is anyone else seeing this extreme draining? It has to be beta 6 because it's effecting all my devices running beta 6?

Accepted Reply

Obviously despite what everyone was telling me it WAS a real issue because 4 days later we got beta 7 on a Friday no less. GRIN At least I didn't listen to the people that said "it's a beta maybe you shouldn't be beta testing" or this one "wait till the GM comes out". What??? Isn't that WHY we're beta testing? To find and report? For 3 hours, every 15 minutes I sent a screen shot of my lock screen except the final screen shot which was only 6 minutes because I was at 2% and couldn't risk it dying completely. The good news is with my persistence 4 days later we all got beta 7 and it fixed the issue. I'm not a super genius nerd. I don't wrote code. I don't create new apps and sell them. But I am a good beta tester because I work "in the real world". No, I don't follow Apple's warnings of not installing beta software on my main devices I do just the opposite. I can't help Apple or you delevopers if I work in a sterile environment. I need to see how things react with other things. I do make a clean backup in the iCloud then I turn off auto backup so it everything does explode I have my stuff back - but in all these years of testing only one time did I have to do a "**** and scrape" of my device. That's a pretty good record considering how many betas are involved in each incremental update. Obviously this battery issue (beta 6) was bad enough to warrant a same week fix (beta 7) and I'm glad it did fix it

Replies

I placed that post 1 hour ago. I spent the past hour in the forum trying to find out why it's draining? I just looked up. After 1 hour I'm at 64%?? How is this possible? From 7am till 8:30 I went from 00% down to 64%? No wonder my roommates phone was dead by 1:30 yesterday.

It's not just possible with a beta, it is very common. Power management isn't a priority and often missing during the program.

Best to either avoid betas or wait until later in the cycle if this is an issue with your daily use device(s).

been using beta 6 since it was released on Monday 8/15 and i have had no issues with battery drain

I have the same issue, but when the iPhone is at 4% or 2% of battery suddenly goes off, if you plug to the power, the device turn on in 6% or 7%!!

Maybe this is not helpful, but this exact same thing happened to me a while back. I imediately assumed that it was the OS, but noticed after a while that it was an app in the background doing a bunch of network stuff.. I deleted the app and after that it was fine. Maybe you can try and take a look in the battery monitor in iOS and see if anything looks strange.

ios 10 beta 6 was bad at battery life but I would get to at least 50% by noon - around 4 hours of usage, now i barely get 2-3 hours with beta 7, second day in.

ios 10 beta 5 was great with battery life.

My iPhone SE is OK

I currently am on iOS 10 Beta 7, and I can't hold a full charge through the day at all. I took my phone off the charger this morning, and 5 minutes later I'm at 84%. I'm downgrading to iOS 9 until they fix this. I can't deal with the constant battery death. They NEED to fix the battery issue before launch or else Apple is going to have a hard time launching smoothly.

I guessing everyone's is different. I looked at mine now 3.18 hours of usage, 18 hours since full charge 67% remaining. Using 6 plus. Also I think it does matter what apps you are using, and what is running in the background. We all have an idea what is a good usage based on previous usage. I would say wait until GM is released to see what is "normal usage" Just Saying.

I'm having the same issue. I just updated to the latest beta update and now I can barely hold any charge. also my phone has started to get hot

I am also running 10 Beta. The battery life is horrible I have an hour commute and by the time I arrive at work under normal use. Podcasts and reading my battery life drops substantially. I have not had the phone completely die but have been at 47% and by the end of the day I am at <10% I also submitted log files to see if the problem can be corrected.

Obviously despite what everyone was telling me it WAS a real issue because 4 days later we got beta 7 on a Friday no less. GRIN At least I didn't listen to the people that said "it's a beta maybe you shouldn't be beta testing" or this one "wait till the GM comes out". What??? Isn't that WHY we're beta testing? To find and report? For 3 hours, every 15 minutes I sent a screen shot of my lock screen except the final screen shot which was only 6 minutes because I was at 2% and couldn't risk it dying completely. The good news is with my persistence 4 days later we all got beta 7 and it fixed the issue. I'm not a super genius nerd. I don't wrote code. I don't create new apps and sell them. But I am a good beta tester because I work "in the real world". No, I don't follow Apple's warnings of not installing beta software on my main devices I do just the opposite. I can't help Apple or you delevopers if I work in a sterile environment. I need to see how things react with other things. I do make a clean backup in the iCloud then I turn off auto backup so it everything does explode I have my stuff back - but in all these years of testing only one time did I have to do a "**** and scrape" of my device. That's a pretty good record considering how many betas are involved in each incremental update. Obviously this battery issue (beta 6) was bad enough to warrant a same week fix (beta 7) and I'm glad it did fix it

I haven' tried Beta 7, but i have had a similar experience.. i believe is related with background activity, soe apps even disabled, are using battery for that. So im guessing the experience varies depending on such apps.

Not only is it causing severe battery drain on my iPhone 6, but the charge time is drastically slower.

Almost 5% per 20 minutes.

Just to add my tuppence worth, this is causing huge issues at present, my phone being one of them.

It was identified as one of the supposedly few 6s handsets that had "battery issues"

Funny how it only started happening after IOS 10:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31060952?start=0&tstart=0

Hope it gets resolved soon, if the battery drain persists then Apple is going to have to replace a huge quantity of batteries at no cost.

Adrian.