macOS Sierra iCloud Drive wipes my hdd

I enabled iCloud drive and it is stuck uploading 2.7gb out of 47gb for days now. Whats worse is that it makes my local files unaccessible. Even the applications folder yielded no items. If you let it sit on a particular directory for some time it will eventually sync but one you leave the directory it goes away again. If I use my terminal and ls the contents of some directories it shows I have files but finder shows none. iCloud via a browser shows more doc than my local machine. The process restarts every reboot.

Anyone else?

Yes I do have my macbook backed up but would like to solve the problem at hand

Replies

I'm having this same problem. Did you ever figure it out?

I had similiar problems with icloud drive but it was worse then just a slow upload and not accessing the files, my files disappeared altogether.

I installed Sierra on two macs, logged into both with the same icloud account, then enabled icloud drive. Both macs started to upload the contents of Desktop and Documents folders to the icloud drive.

The expected behavior of each mac creating a self titled folder and then placing the contents of the Desktop and Documents with this subfolder did not happen. Both macs just dumped all of their respective files directly in the root of Icloud Drive. There was no distinction where the files originated from. To make matters worse, if the file/folder had the same name, only one copy survived.

If "FileA.txt" from Mac A had 10kb, and "FileA.txt" from Mac B had 20GB, then the file from Mac A would over write the "FileA.txt" from Mac B, essentially wiping out the 20GB file.

Same here! Sierra has drastically slowed down my 27" iMac. Forget typing e mails or opening i.e. Word application takes for ever. To make things worse after deleting some files from iCloud Drive free up more space well surprise surprise. My desktop looks brand new. All folders have vanished. Where are the files from the HD?

> … applications folder …

As that's neither ~/Desktop nor ~/Documents it can not be an issue with iCloud Drive. You should suspect an issue with the HFS Plus file system.

iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents: dataloss from no distinction between multiple Macs

> … no distinction … if the file/folder had the same name, only one copy survived.

>

> If "FileA.txt" from Mac A had 10kb, and "FileA.txt" from Mac B had 20GB, then the file from Mac A would over write the "FileA.txt" from Mac B, essentially wiping out the 20GB file.

Please: did you report the bug to Apple, prerelease 10.2.3, or was it too late in the development cycle?

If reported: is there a supposed fix in prerelease 10.12.4?

If not fixed: I suggest starting a new topic with a suitable title. The symptom, as you report it, is serious – dataloss without warning is never acceptable – but it's not wiping the hard disk drive.