Messages App: No Video/Audio/ScreenSharing?

I was a little surprised to find the Audio/Video chat missing entirely from Messages.app in El Capitan. But they are still in the AppleScript dictionary, but no signs of them in the GUI anywhere anymore.

Is this a freak upgrade problem, or is this the future? Kinda sad, I liked having it all in a single app. And what about screen sharing? I don't see that either...

Accepted Reply

Those features in Messages are there for me in El Capitan. They appear in the drop-down triggered by clicking "details" in the top right of the chat window.

Replies

I had sort of expected by now to have had at least one person either corroborate or contradict this...

Is it a glitch on my system, or doesn't anyone not have any video/audio/screen_sharing features in Messages in El Capitan?

Those features in Messages are there for me in El Capitan. They appear in the drop-down triggered by clicking "details" in the top right of the chat window.

Thanks for confirming.

I see them there (now that you pointed it out 🙂 ), but when I right-click on a contact in the "Buddy List", which is how I have always done it, the options aren't there any longer. Gone also are the indicators of whether or not a buddy has the capability at all. And I have no audio/video preferences pane or menu as used to be there.

But, I guess I should be thankful it hasn't been yanked entirely...

Yeah, it seems as though they've rejigged messages quite a bit. It's always possible that Apple will reverse some of the changes in future betas or at release. Otherwise I guess we'll have to get used to the new system...

Team Viewer is a great free option.

Using BETA version 10.11 Beta (15A215h). I have lost the capability to conduct audio and video chats. The previous audio/video chat icon (option) in Messages preference menu is missing. When I identify an available buddy from my buddies list, the only option I have is a text message, audio and or video (or screen sharing) is no longer an option. I can not find the "details" option as previousely mentioned. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.