NAS Units

Can't mount any SMB/CIFS or AFP shares or files. Are network protocols cripped in the beta?

Replies

From the beta release notes:

File Sharing

SMB is the default file sharing protocol used in macOS Sierra. When File Sharing is enabled, all folders are shared using SMB. AFP is no longer enabled by default.

Yes. Since beta5, I lost access to my remote disks over my Time Capsule. In my case, it's not the protocol that is broken, but something on the authentication.

If I mount the drive manually, or it I setup the timecapsule manually on the Airport utility, it works, but if I just look at AirportUtility (mac and ios) or try to do a Time Machine into them, it doesn't work.

First I thought it was related to having the time capsule configured to just ask for password, so I changed it to a proper user and password - even worse, with it the drive mounts and shows no content, besides a dumb hidden folder.

NFS seems OK: I have a Linux server and a NetApp operating happily with beta 5.

My computer at home is conencted via afp and the one I am on at work is over smb. Both seem to be working jsut fine as I've used the network shared today and over the weekend.

I have seen a similar issues since the MacOS Sierra betas (not in previous OSX bases) where I cannot auto authenticate to a QNAP NAS via SMB or AFP. Specifically, it lets me manually authenticate (prompts for credentials on reboot to attach and map to a share) but if I choose to 'remember password in keychain' it doesn't work, always prompts me manually.

Would love to get this back to how it was working before so raised a bug with full details just in case. Any advice here as always is appreciated

I checked the crednetials are in keychain and sure enough no issues there, even deleted them and re-added but still the same issue

I've tried a host of tricks and can't see the shares at all. On Windows 10 (via Parallels) they are all there and the performance is lighting fast. SMB NAS performance on Mac has been an issue and never seems as fast as Windows but was always bareable. I don't totally understand what Apple tweaked in Sierra that would prevent access at all but if anyone does...please speak up.

I'm also have trouble with mounting smb shares on Sierra Beta.

There is also thread here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Can-t-Mount-SMB-CIFS-Shares-in-OS-X-Sierra-Public-Beta-4/m-p/1127139#M114228, is it yours?

I can't see official apple answer, is it there?

In my case "mount -t smbfs ..." fails with "server connection failed: Operation timed out".

On 10.11.5 this worked perfectly.

What we supposed to do?