Namespace SPRINGBOARD crashes

In the Xcode crash browser I noticed a bunch of crashes like these, only for devices running iOS 10:

Date/Time:           2016-08-08 20:49:21.2193 -0400
Launch Time:         2016-08-08 20:49:06.7079 -0400
OS Version:          iPhone OS 10.0 (14A5322e)
Report Version:      104

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:  EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Termination Reason: Namespace SPRINGBOARD, Code 0xdead10cc
Triggered by Thread:  0

The backtraces vary and are mostly deep in Foundation, CoreFoundation, libswiftCore, and the like. '0xdead10cc' hints at a deadlock but I'm not sure where there could be one.

Are these crashes of a new kind? I'm wondering because we don't see them via the HockeyApp crash reporting system.

Replies

For Firefox for iOS this is currently the top crasher on iOS 10. It is a new one for us and we have not seen it on previous iOS releases.

"The exception code 0xdead10cc indicates that an application has been terminated by iOS because it held on to a system resource (like the address book database) while running in the background."

Did you manage to find out what resource was the problem here?

No, I haven't found out yet. I suspect it's related to CoreSpotlight indexing but it's hard to analyze because the OS part of the backtrace isn't symbolicated.

CoreSpotlight is a good hint. Unfortunately we tried to disable all usages of NSUserActivity but are still seeing the crashes. I'm wondering if there is something we must implement for iOS 10.

I can reproduce this crash pretty consistently. But I don't know how to debug it.

All I get is a: Message from debugger: Terminated due to signal 9

I'm not sure where or how to set a useful breakpoint to analyze this further.

S.