How to Disable Rootless?

Hi,

I just installed the OS X El Capitan, Now i'm suffering major setback because of the new “feature” called “Rootless” which blocked me from editing some of the root files using an App.

I would to know how'd i disable it? I need urgent help!

Accepted Reply

The supported way to disable System Integrity Protection in those cases where it's truly necessary is to boot into the Recovery partition and turn System Integrity Protection off from there with the csrutil tool.

$ csrutil

usage: csrutil <command>

Modify the System Integrity Protection configuration. All configuration changes apply to the entire machine.

Available commands:

disable

Disable the protection on the machine. Requires a reboot.

enable

Enable the protection on the machine. Requires a reboot.

status

Display the current configuration.

The kext-dev-mode and rootless boot-args are being removed from OS X El Capitan and will no longer work.

--gc

Replies

Disabling system integrity protection (SIP, aka rootless) is possible using the steps described in WWDC Session 706 "Security and Your Apps".

<https://developer.apple.com/videos/>

However, you really have to think about the future here. SIP is going to be a feature of future versions of OS X and it's unreasonable for your app to require that it be disabled.

What "root files" are you editing? In most cases there are alternative strategies that are both secure (and hence work with SIP enabled) and compatible.

Share and Enjoy

--

Quinn "The Eskimo!"

Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

The supported way to disable System Integrity Protection in those cases where it's truly necessary is to boot into the Recovery partition and turn System Integrity Protection off from there with the csrutil tool.

$ csrutil

usage: csrutil <command>

Modify the System Integrity Protection configuration. All configuration changes apply to the entire machine.

Available commands:

disable

Disable the protection on the machine. Requires a reboot.

enable

Enable the protection on the machine. Requires a reboot.

status

Display the current configuration.

The kext-dev-mode and rootless boot-args are being removed from OS X El Capitan and will no longer work.

--gc