SpriteKit Scene Editor is now crashing in XCode 7.3 and XCode 8 beta 4

Xcode is immediately crashing on selecting any SpriteKit Scene file.

The installation of Xcode 8 seemed to break scene editing in 7.3 (but continued to work in Xcode 8) - but now that's stopped working too.

This means SpriteKit Scenes cannot be edited at all.

Is anyone else seeing this. And is there a workaround?

Replies

I'm having the same issue - I can't open .sks files in beta 4 or it crashes immediately. It was working in beta 3.

I'll try deleting all Xcode installations - and then installing xcode 7.3.1.

This isn't the venue to moan about this stuff. So I will constrain my frustration to an emoticon. 😠

In 8 beta 4 it crashes all the time. Even creating an empty scene does not work.

Xcode 7 works fine.

In my experience. Xcode7 started crashing in the SceneKit editor too.

Not sure whether that was caused by installing Xcode8 alongside, or using Sierra.

Hi Carniphage & glass-hammer,

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and we truly appreciate your patience. Xcode 8 beta 5 is now available to download. We believe we have fixed this issue in beta 5, but would love for you to verify this for us. If you still encounter issues, please file a bug report (or edit your existing bug report) with details and we will investigate the issues immediately.

Thanks.

Hi Carniphage,

Did you end up installing Xcode 7.3.1? We would love to hear if you continue to have issues on this version. We recently fixed an issue causing scenes edited in Xcode 8 to crash Xcode 7. We believe this may have been the crash you were experiencing with Xcode 7. The crash exhibited in Xcode 8 beta 4 is likely a separate issue that we believe is fixed in beta 5, which was released today.

Thanks.

Hi tscasella,

Beta 5 (at first glance) seems a lot more stable. I'll let you know if I find anything.

hello! I still crash even if download xcode 8 bate6 . and It is discussion I post:https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/60332