Must watchOS 3 Vertical Paging Items Be Statically Specified in Interface Builder?

I was excited to see the new vertical paging navigation in watchOS 3 and looking forward to using the digital crown to navigate between pages. My watch app currently uses page-based navigation. One thing I like about page-based navigation is that my application really doesn't need a root controller. It's sufficient for the user to just swipe between pages. My users can specify what pages should be displayed and my app uses reloadRootControllersWithNames to dynamically specify the list of pages the user has specified. After watching the WWDC 2016 videos it seems like the only way I can use the new vertical navigation is to switch to hierarchical navigation. While I could live with an unnecessary table view in a root controller, I can't figure out how to dynamically specify the list of pages for the segue from the table. From everything if seen in the videos and read in the documentation, the segues have to be statically specified in Interface Builder and cannot be changed changed dynamically within the watch app. Am I missing something or can this not be done? Quite frankly I was simply hoping that there would be some way to have page-based navigation work vertically using the digital crown. That seems simple enough rather than having to switch to hierarchical navigation.