Xcode 8.0 Command /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/swiftc failed with exit code 1

When I compile my code on Xcode Version 8.0 beta 4 (8S188o) I get this single error bringing the compilation to failure:

Command /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/swiftc failed with exit code 1

I tried to clean the derived folder but that did not change things. What is it and how may I know more about it?

The only peculiar thing is that all the objective-c files I have removed after porting them to Swift are reported as missing:

file:///Users/fbartolom/Documents/cocoa%20applications/inArrivoHD/teleportDetail.h: warning: Missing file: /Users/fbartolom/Documents/cocoa applications/inArrivoHD/teleportDetail.h is missing from working copy

I checked them in the project and they are not there, I tried even to commit, but that did not change the thing.

Replies

I have the same error even in another project.

Yet a totally unrelated project not reporting the miing files compiled just fine. So I think th issue is due to th emising files.

I am having the same issue, anyone found the cause or a solution?

Unfortunately the problem is still hanging. In one case I copied the failing command to the terminal and found an error in a file, I removed it and it compiled fine, and kept compiling fine even after replacing the file. Another project instead returned very funny results when linked in the terminal by reporting the contents of my source files with strange characters in their middle and a host of errors. When you try to execute the swiftc command on the terminal the output is similar to my former case or the latter?

I have a project that just emitted this error. I literally had just run the app once, stopped the run, tweaked a bit of logic, and went to run it again, and it now fails with this error... ***? How does one debug something like this? There's absolutely no useful feedback, and I can't conceive of anything I did between runs could have possibly broken my project badly enough to result in such an abject failure to compile.

>tweaked a bit of logic

Did you perform an option-clean build folder to flush old tweaked code before running tweaked new?

Hi,

I've posted a tiny code snippet that produces this same error in the following ticket:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/60611

In particular the repro I created only affects the debug build and appears to be related to the declaration of constant SIMD variables.

It's a long shot but you could try changing over to a release build to see if that works.

Hope this is of some help,

Regards,

Joe

Just remove inactive file(deleted file) from Build phases...

I tried to run a project in Xcode12/Swift4, while the project was written on Xcode8/Swift3
so I install Xcode version 11.7 and run this work for me.