Is it possible to use IAP for individual stickers in a sticker pack?

What are the available options to sell sticker packs? Is it possible to use In App Purchases for individual stickers inside a sticker pack?

Accepted Reply

In a "basic" sticker pack, IAP is not an option because there's no code that you write. That is, if you create a new "Sticker Pack Application" project (or target in a parent iOS app) then all you're able to do there is add resources that are bundled in the sticker pack. You can certainly put those up for sale in the iMessage App Store (when it opens), but that's the only way to generate revenue.

If you do want to use IAP, then what you would do is create an iMessages App, which would happen to just show stickers. You can use an MSStickerBrowserViewController to display the stickers just like a sticker pack would so you'd get the same UI, but now you have code running and you can do things like use IAP to unlock additional stickers, or you could generate more stickers programmatically, or download updated versions from a server. At this point, the options are pretty wide open, but that means you're writing the code to do the work.

Replies

In a "basic" sticker pack, IAP is not an option because there's no code that you write. That is, if you create a new "Sticker Pack Application" project (or target in a parent iOS app) then all you're able to do there is add resources that are bundled in the sticker pack. You can certainly put those up for sale in the iMessage App Store (when it opens), but that's the only way to generate revenue.

If you do want to use IAP, then what you would do is create an iMessages App, which would happen to just show stickers. You can use an MSStickerBrowserViewController to display the stickers just like a sticker pack would so you'd get the same UI, but now you have code running and you can do things like use IAP to unlock additional stickers, or you could generate more stickers programmatically, or download updated versions from a server. At this point, the options are pretty wide open, but that means you're writing the code to do the work.

How do I upload my sticker packs so they will be available for other users?

You Google it, that's what you do

Haha, we were all thinking it..... Check out the site associated with my user name. Plenty of iMessage lessons.

I am trying to learn how to code and setup an iMessage app for IAP sticker packs. In the mean time would I be able to just upload a basic sticker pack and sale it. Then later update it to an iMessage app with IAP sticker packs without affecting the the users who purchased the basic sticker pack? For example create a sticker pack named "Stickers" and sale it for .99 cents. Then after I develop the iMessage app with IAP have it replace the current "Stickers" sticker pack in the app store and any one who has purchased the orginal just gets the update.

You could end up hosing the people that originally bought. If you do that, your update with in app purchases should add to the original pack but not take away from it. In other words if the pack started with 20 stickers, add 20 brand new stickers. Don't update and make 10 of those original 20 part of the in app purchase.

So in your opinion, hold out until I figure out how to work with IAP? On a side note, have passed by your site looking for help. Hoping after I get a bit more income, hopefully from this project, I can afford to get VIP access. 🙂

Thanks! =)

And yeah, I think the best move is to get the IAP working first. Better for the customer

Ok, so I have been scouring the web looking for any help with making a IAP sticker app. I know it has to be an iMessage app with iaps and all but still a little lost on how to implement it all together. Has anyone come across a tutorial focusing more on this? I have a fair understanding of programming but any links others have found would be greatly appreciated.

I've taught some video tutorials on that (my website is easy to figure out).

Is it possible to have an app "unlock" stickers from within a basic app, without the use of IAP? I'm looking to develop a game where you can unlock stickers based on how you perform in the game.

Thanks for your help!!

-Shane