Problem with MSMessageTemplateLayout mediaFileURL not animating a GIF or PNG

Someone posted a similar issue in another forum (https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/51131), but I thought it might be useful to post it here in case someone else is having the same problem.

When setting the mediaFileURL property of the MSMessageTemplateLayout object to an animated GIF or animated PNG, the image displayed in the message bubble doesn't animate. (You only see a single frame of the animation.)

I've filed a report on this: rdar://27481376

If someone has discovered a work-around, please let us know.

Thanks,

-Michael

Replies

Thanks for posting. Good to know it's not just my app. MSMessageTemplateLayout doesn't animate the image whether I set the mediaFileURL or the image. I verified that the file does exist at the URL.

Xcode 8 beta 4 didn't resolve this issue for me.

I filed a report, too: rdar://27456667

This is a huge bug, and it's still not fixed.

Still not fixed

It seems gif files doesn't animate in MSMessageTemplateLayout(I guess it works for video files only at the moment, and need to be fixed asap.), but it works with insertAttachment method of conversation object.
If you need to create interactive messsage with gif files, you should convert them to video format (ie mp4), and I think this is the only way to make interactive message for gif files.

But if you just need to display gifs in iMessage, use insertAttachment method.