iOS 9 beta iCloud backup can't be deleted

I had iOS 9 beta for a little while and my iCloud did a backup, then I downgraded to iOS 8.3 due to bugs, and I wanted to delete my backup for extra storage, but it won't let me do it on any platform (iPhone, Mac). What should I do because I need that storage

Replies

I've had this issue too. iCloud is going crazy with messages that my storage is full. I don't think anything can be done right now I'm afraid. I was going to wait for the 2nd beta seed and try deleting on device again.

I also having this issue, i tried to contact Apple Support by Phone and saying that they cannot help me :-(

My storage is full and i cannot delete this backup.

Even after reverting back to ios8, the backup cannot be deleted.

I'm having the same problem too. It won't let me delete my iPhone & iPad back ups. Apple Support couldn't help me over the phone either. They said "we aren't allowed to help with betas" so I just upgraded to iOS 9 again. So annoying.

Same here. Opened a bug report. Icloud support didn't want to do anything.

I can confirm having similar issues with signing in or out of iCloud on both iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 beta. I am unable to sign out of iCloud in System Preferences on the Mac, and unable to sign into iCloud on iOS9 beta on an iPhone 6 Plus. I ended up creating a new Administrator account on the Mac and have resigned to remain signed out of iCloud until the next beta update, which hopefully addresses the issues.

Hi Parsa,

I really think the engineer(s) writing the release notes missed a major issue. While they do mention that some backups may report failure and instead be successful, then go on to suggest syncing via itunes "if this happens", they did NOT mention that backups would be locked with permissions that break any ability to delete, remove or replace them from iCloud.

The current situation is that we have multiple accounts in our development team that have absolutely zero iCloud data left, requiring we either pay to upgrade the storage or live with it and pray it's fixed. While testing anything that requires iCloud storage is completely impossible. Or we have to create completely new accounts.

Bottom line, everyone testing Beta 1 of iOS 9 should disable iCloud backups on ALL iOS devices (as a precaution) for each iCloud account that will be paired to a development device running iOS 9 "prior" to performing the system update to Beta 1.

iCloud is tremendously broken with iOS 9 Beta 1 and it's a bit risky to jeapordize development accounts that must also be used on other projects for testing APIs on this Beta. If only they had provided this instruction we would happily be churning along with one minor annoyance (no iCloud backups until later betas) but instead we have some developers who's iCloud accounts are filled with phantom Backup data that is reported in Yosemite's System Preferences for iCloud but cannot be viewed, managed or removed to reclaim the lost space. (This includes iCloud backups from iOS 9 devices that completed succesfully.)

I'm hopeful they will address this by Beta 2 (which should release sometime next week, assuming things are moving according to the traditional schedule) but it's just too risky to wait and hope.

PS: You might also want to turn off iCloud drive as that may also be creating some issues, however we have only begun testing this configuration as it appears to have immediate impact on battery life.

Just confirming the same experience/bug and when escalated to the highest levels, they referred me to the development site/support.

Update: Absolutely no resolution yet on the consumed iCloud space by phantom data or the unremovable backup listings.

Agreed. Not sure if it matters, but on Wed I also submitted a bug report for this issue.

At least I'm not going mad then - I've literally wasted hours on this issue. Apple should/could give us more control on iCloud storage meaning we could delete these rogue data/files. I'll try deleting files from /Users/<YOUR HOME FOLDER>/Library/Application Support/iCloud/Accounts but wont hold my breath.

I'll post back if I have any joy or find a fix.

Agreed markbrads,

I specifically requested this (additional control and visibility into the iCloud data store for our respective iCloud accounts) as a means to facilitate early testing and dev.

The more bug reports the better. Someone may describe a problem with more accuracy and detail which will likely assist with resolution.

ok, sad to read that there is no fix yet about this

I am also having icloud data consumed by phantom backups that do not appear.

Apple support was also not willing to help or to allow my icloud data to be wiped so I can start over. I've disabled backups from here on out.

i afree with not using iCloud for backup until resolved. Still an issue with beta 2