Call Directory Extensions not getting enabled in beta 10.3

If I launch an app containing a call directory extension, then with earlier betas it would get enabled (in the settings control panel) automatically.

However this no longer seems to be the case with 10.3. AFAICT the only way to enable it is for the user to do so manually by the setting control panel.

If this is the intended behaviour, then the call directory extension is now a very useless piece of functionality , unless either a) the app can request the user to enable the extension (as it does for things like contacts access, location etc.) or the app can launch the relevant control panel settings in a view controller so the user can enable it. Howeve neither of these is apparently possbile).

I know Apple have been reading and responding to some of the call directory extention threads in this forum, if you are reading this, are you able to comment on the situation regarding enablement of the extensions?

Replies

It is like the keyboard and safari content blocking extensions, the user must take explicit action to enable it in settings. I would hardly call these existing extensions useless, they are fairly popular in the store. I'm with you though, I would to take the user right to the settings page or just have a system prompt to enable.

I think because of the relative power these extension have to change the user's experience on the phone, they want to make the bar to enabling high enough to ensure the user doesn't enable the functionality without fully understanding what/where it is done at. vs. a user experimenting with a bunch of extensions, clicking quickly through prompts to turn them on, then not understanding why their phone is acting all screwy (funky keyboard, caller id and browser blocking) and not understanding where to go disable it.