callkit: call from Contacts broken in beta 2

It seems that the possibility to call from Contacts app is partially broken in beta 2.

(I have seen the situation with SpeakerBox sample app also)

It is possible to call from Contacts if you have already done a call from app (or if you add an entry with your app name in a contact)

However if you press on the call button, I don't see anymore the list of all CallKit enabled apps (starting with iphone, facetime) in the action sheet.

Have you seen also this change ?

Replies

It is still the same behaviour with beta3.

With the updated sample code SpeakerBox, I have also the same behaviour.

You can call from a contact by editing the contact, adding a "spcial profil" then selecting the name of your app (the callkit app are detected) and typing the phonenumber.

In beta 1, it was more straight forward to dial a phonenumber with a VoIP app.

I'm seeing the same behaviour, and it's increasingly frustrating to work with it.

Basically I'm working on integrating CallKit in a VoIP app that can call to any phone number, and I would like my users to have the option to use my app when in the Contacts app and when searching in the system. As far as the current implementation goes, the only way I have is to add an entry with the name of my app to every phone number of every contact.

By the way, your question was very helpful to me, I didn't find that information about adding a manual entry anywhere in the documentation.

I suppose this API is very susceptible to change, since it has changed in the last two betas and I understand that it is a stressing time at Apple preparing all those new software products. But can someone from Apple briefly comment on this?

xcode-beta4 has this problem still.

I'm using Beta 6 and I have not been able to get my app to show in the list with SpeakerBox of available CallKit apps on the Contact screen.

I've added the IntentsExtension and added handler for Audio and Video Intents. As well as added the intents to the NSUserActivityTypes to info.plist of parent app and the IntentsExtension.

Now it works fine with beta7.

You need to do a long press on the call button.

Additionnaly I am not able to build the latest version of speakerbox (many errors)

have you made any progress with integrating into Contacts? I'm unable to make my app appear there while it's almost imposible to remove Speakerbox from there. I removed the Intents extension from speakerbox - still there, removed the NSUserActivityTypes and URL types - still there. Removed voip from UIBackgroundModes - Speakerbox disappeared! - added it back - and it reappeared - ok... But my app also has voip background mode and it's not there no matter what I try

It works fine now starting iOS 10 beta 8.

You need to configure properly CallKit to handle phonenumeber (see in provider configuration).

thanks... I feel a little stupid now 🙂