MSMessageTemplateLayout mediaFileURL not animating a '.gif'

When I create a MSMessageTemplateLayout object and set the mediaFileURL property to the URL of the location of a gif I just created locally on the device, the layout just shows a single image, and does not animate the gif.

However, if I just use the method:

activeConversation?.insertAttachment(gifUrl, withAlternateFilename: nil, completionHandler: { (error) in

})

the gif is displayed and animated correctly. However I don't get the benefit of the interactive message. The 'gifUrl' parameter is the same url I was setting the mediaFileURL property to with broken results.

When I watched the WWDC video https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/224/ it mentioned that the medialFileURL property would support '.gif' file types. Anyone having similar results?

Replies

I have the exact same problem, have you found a way to make it work?

Having the same problem with mediaFileURL. Doesn't support animated GIF or PNG images.

Filed rdar://27481376

Still not working. rdar://27725625

Still not working for us. Did you guys find or heard anything from Apple?

I also am still running into this exact issue. I submitted a bug report #27365050 on July 16 that has been marked as a duplicate of report #26432360 but have received no update.

Even if no fixes are immediately available, it would be very helpful to hear whether this is the intended behavior (why?) or whether this is broken and will be fixed in the future. Thanks!

I had the same problem. I even tried to create a apng, but same result. I solved the problem by creating a mp4 and mp4s seem to be supported.

Do you get any sound on your mp4s though? It seems that the sound is turned off by default, and you cannot click to enable it. The click is intercepted by the meda layout card and you end up at the app rather the turning on sound.

Did they autoplay when sent from one device to another? I'm using the same technique, but they don't start playing. They do autoplay when sent from an iPhone to the Messages desktop Mac App.