Can not install Xcode 8 Beta?

First post to the Dev Forums, not too sure if this is the right 'place' for this thread. Anyways...

Every time I try to install (expand) the Xcode 8 Beta (once the .xip file has finished downloadng), I get promted with this error:

"This operation couldn't be completed. cpio read error: bad file format"

I've tried:

1. Re-extracting the file.
  2. Re-downloading the file, then re-extracting.
  3. 'Fix' the file.

None of this has worked, and I haven't found anything to fix this issue (yet). Help would be much appreciated.

Replies

Can't see the error...images aren't allowed here.

'extracting' and 'fixing' make it sound like you're not on macOS.

What happens if you use Safari's download menu to open? so you can then drag to /Applications?

I was getting this error and I did the following:

The simple way is to upgrade your Mac OS x version 10.11.5 and try to unzip file using Archive Utility and it will extract the "XIP" file.

I upgraded my mac os and this helped me. I was able to get rid of unzipping error.

Hope this helps!

I installed Xcode 8 Beta 2 today and got the same error. Wonder what causes this error and what's the solution? I am using Yosemite version of OSX.

>I am using Yosemite version of OSX.

This is from the Xcode8.x Beta release notes:

About Xcode 8 beta 2
Supported Configurations
Xcode 8 beta 2 requires a Mac running macOS version 10.11.5 or later.

I have updated to 10.11.6 still i am not able to install xcode.

earlier when i was trying to install xcode 7.3 beta at that time it was showing curropt file. Then i download xcode 8.4 beta, now i can extract files but xode is not installed. Instead it has install xcode server builder.

anyone can help me in this issue.

not sure if we had the same issue, but when I downloaded xcode beta 8.(multiple times) would always error out when extracting the file and say could not complete download. I reinstalled of 10.11.6 from my recovery partition and it seemed to fix the extracting issue of the app. everything works perfect now

hope this helps.

I have macOS sierra ( 10.12) Beta and I downloaded xcode-beta 6.

After downloading xcode beta, I tried to open xip file and it says the file is corrupted for some reason.

Has anybody faced the same problem, if so how can we solve the problem.

Thanks in advance

Restarting my macbook fixed it for me. Had the latest version of OSX on a 1 year old MBP.