Keyboardservicesd using memory

This process called "keyboardservicesd" is using an insane ampunt of memory. I've been running Sierra since about it's release day and i haven't had a problem until today. For some unknown reasone the proces is taking up all of the memory which makes my Mac really slow. Whenever i shut the process it just keeps on coming back starting at around 20 mb, but then rising fast. The highest amount of memory i've seen it use is 29GB. Yes 29 not nine, not two; 29GB!

Does anyone else have this issue and maybe know how to fix it?

Thank you

Replies

Me too. The fan speed is very high 🙂

Seen some other threads on that too, and occasionally other processes...something is probably conflicting with one of those system processes and breaking it, creating a memory leak in that process.

Few ideas to try:

Create a new user account and see if the issue resolves...determine if it is a user-profile item causing it.

Remove all 3rd party software that loads extensions or startup items, etc. Go back to as clean a core OS as possible, then re-add until it happens.

I only say this because all the test systems I have Sierra on work without any memory problems, so it must be something on your system that is not installed on mine. Just a matter of isolating what.

Mine runs the following and works:

f.lux

TextExpander

1Password

Dropbox

Alfred 3 w/PowerPack

Hazel

VMware Fusion

CrashPlan

iStat Menus

Little Snitch

Clipboard History

EyeTV

MacUpdate Desktop

and so on...lots of menubar items/helpers running.

I've also noticed that this service tries to make an outgoing internet connection to configuration.apple.com. The name of the service, keyboardservicesd doesn't inspire confidence, especially if it's sending anything out that we type... hopefully, it's not some type of key logger, or sending info to apple that should not be sending.

Anyone has any additional information about what this service is?

Pure guess: http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/06/apple-previews-major-update-with-macos-sierra.html

Universal Clipboard?

<tinfoil hat> So possibly yes, a kind of keylogger... And the destination is not Apple.

Maybe do not copy / paste sensitive passwords.</tinfoil hat>

I suspect that you are correct. *** are code monkeys at apple thinking?!? There's no reason to send the clipboard to mother apple. Just use low-energy bluetooth to share among devices that have ALREADY VALIDATED IDENTITY. Oy vey. Are they trying to completely obliterate the entire concept of privacy? :-/