Xcode 7.3.1 crashing on loading SpriteKit scenes - following installation of Xcode 8

Suddenly encountered this.

An Xcode 7 project contains some SpriteKit scenes. But trying to view them in Xcode causes an immediate crashing of Xcode.

The same sks files open fine in Xcode 8.

At first I thought that Xcode 8 had modified the scene files, rendering them toxic to Xcode 7. But that does not seem to be the case. Reverting the files back with version control does not solve the problem.

Replies

Perhaps this is a Sierra-related problem?

Hi Carniphage,

Thank you for posting the issue you're seeing. The inability to open scene files that have been modified in Xcode 8 is a known issue that we are currently looking into. However, I would greatly appreciate if you filed a bug report for the issue you're seeing in which reverted files are still not opening in Xcode 7.3.1. The more information you provide, the faster we'll be able to reproduce and fix the issue, so please attach the reverted scene file that you're unable to open, and provide us your configuration details.

Once your bug report is filed, please let me know the bug ID so that I can quickily access it and continue communication with you.

Thank you.

Logged as 27734495

I was using Xcode 8.0 spritekit editor as a workaround. Because it didn't crash and now includes a scene heirarchy.

But with beta4 that seems to crash too.