Parked Car in Maps

How is "Parked Car" triggered in Maps ?

Just opened my maps on the iPhone, and found an entry in my favorites called 'parked car'. The previous 3 days running iOS 10, I didn't get this. Today for the first time.

I read about this and found the feature pretty cool, but assumed it to be availble only with a CarPlay enabled car. My Mazda CX5 unfortunately has this not (yet) ... so I was surprised to see it. Is there any documentation how this is triggered?

Thanks

Lutz

Accepted Reply

My guess is it drops a pin when you disconnect from the head unit.

Replies

My guess is it drops a pin when you disconnect from the head unit.

I think it believes the car is parked when you disconnect bluetooth phone or music services from the car (such as when you turn off the car ignition).

What I haven't learned yet is: Can my app get awakened when the car gets parked? Can my app get the parked/notparked state, and the park location?

I am also interested in receiving these "events" in my app. Did you learn anything?

Heard nothing and found nothing except confirmation that it assumes the car was parked at the moment it disconnects Bluetooth from a car. There seems to be no way for our apps to detect this, unless it's tied in with "visits" below.

My app does keep a map on screen, maybe it could look for a parked car annotation on it. Haven't tried it and it seems messy.

I have been looking at an app named EverDrive, which magically detects your driving habits and scores you based on things like speeding, heavy braking/acceleration, sharp turns etc., with no connection to the car. It seems to do it just based on location manager reports on speed and such.

There is also something the system calls "visits", and you can get notification when a visit starts and ends. It's not super clear what deliniates a visit, but if you get out of your car and go into a shop, then go home, that time in the shop generally gets registered as a visit. But I don't seem to be able to use a visit start notification for parking, because by the time I get it, the person has moved away from the car and it's too late to get a location fix. Also I'm not sure about its reliability. Visits are a bit mysterious to me, but they may be or someday become the answer.