Parallels 11: Yep (with a caveat for me)

I see that others reported success with VMWare Fusion, but, Parallels 11 doesn't seem to work on macOS Sierra. It appears to launch the control centre, but actually starting up any VMs results in the "error 15" -- guessing that kernel extensions are having issues here.

Accepted Reply

So this is going to sound really bizarre, but, I believe the reason for it NOT working on my system was that (for some reason) CUPS was not running at boot time.

I noticed looking in the console logs that there were a lot of RSTs coming from some interface, so I ran a tcpump on lo0 and saw the IPP (:631) being poked hundreds of times in a row. A quick netcat listening on that port confirmed that "something" was trying to POST CUPS data there.

I don't know WHY the cupsd is not started at boot on my system, but, starting it manually fixed the RST issue, and, coincidentally, allowed Parallels to start.

I don't have any printers in Parallels, I don't even own a printer, and I don't have any printers configured - my only guess is that Parallels tries to proxy/talk to printing services as part of its initialisation and if CUPS doesn't respond, it dies. Perhaps this is a coincidence, but, it was the only change I believe I made...

Replies

Hi,

Which version of Parallels? I'm running 11.2.0 (32581) and it's working well. The only issue I had was that the space bar wasn't working inside any of my VMs (Win/DOS/Linux) and it ended up being the default setting for Siri's keyboard sortcut (Fn-Spacebar). I changed Siri's to CTRL-Spacebar and so far everything has been OK (MBP 13-inch, Mid-2012)

Parallels 11 (latest build) works for me just fine as well. I'm on a late 2015 MacBook Pro 15 in

Confirmed, latest version of Parallels is working for me on 2013 27' late iMac. Thanks anro838, I had the issue with the spacebar but I did not have a chance to troubleshoot. Thanks for providing the 'fix'.

So this is going to sound really bizarre, but, I believe the reason for it NOT working on my system was that (for some reason) CUPS was not running at boot time.

I noticed looking in the console logs that there were a lot of RSTs coming from some interface, so I ran a tcpump on lo0 and saw the IPP (:631) being poked hundreds of times in a row. A quick netcat listening on that port confirmed that "something" was trying to POST CUPS data there.

I don't know WHY the cupsd is not started at boot on my system, but, starting it manually fixed the RST issue, and, coincidentally, allowed Parallels to start.

I don't have any printers in Parallels, I don't even own a printer, and I don't have any printers configured - my only guess is that Parallels tries to proxy/talk to printing services as part of its initialisation and if CUPS doesn't respond, it dies. Perhaps this is a coincidence, but, it was the only change I believe I made...