Review Process for Search Ads

Hi,

Will sponsored apps be more strictly reviewed ?

My biggest worry is that copycat or low-quality apps might appear as the first search result.

Replies

....color of your money, and all that, is my guess.

Wishful thinking @KMT

The process will likely be similar to adwords.

• Relevance score to keep irrelevant results out of irrelevant searches even if they bid highly
  • A (growing) list of branded/off-limits terms placed on an up-front block to keep you from bidding on known/approved brands like say spotify
  • Up-front review process for ads - would we imagine apple not reviewing things going into its store? Maybe part of why apple stocked up on reviewers was also to cross-train some of them onto search ad reviews.

What wishing? The more you bid/spend, the more visibility your app's ad gains. This isn't about bidding on anything but your own app showing in search results against your competitors.

What you're talking about is the speculation that Apple will do like Amazon and sell self-serve ads.

Thanks for your reply.

There is an "Introducing Search Ads" session tomorrow. We should get more information about how they really work.

However, so far in the first beta, search ads are much worse than I could have imagined. They are completely irrelevant most of the time and favor copycat or competitor apps over genuine ones:

- searching for "hotel" or "restaurant" shows you... game ads 😐

- searching for famous trademarked names like "twitter" or "snapshat" shows you... competitor ads 😮

- searching for specific app name like "monument valley" shows you... a copycat app ad 😠

I really hope this will be fixed soon, as this is bad both for developers and customers (and eventually Apple itself).

You're saying you've already seen search ads?

Post a screenshot example of what you're seeing.

I haven't personally, waiting for at least Beta 2, but there was an article online (in French) about Search ads in Beta 1.

Can't easily share images here, but you can search on Google. The article's title is "Les pubs s'affichent dans l’App Store (et ce n’est pas brillant)".