An app transfer and push notification

I'm going to transfer an app to another account.

Developer guide says:

Associated client SSL certificates for push notifications aren’t transferred. If the app uses Apple Push Notifications service (APNs), the recipient needs to create a client SSL certificate using Member Center to reenable it.

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Chapters/TransferringAndDeletingApps.html

Does it meens I have to update an app and existing users have to update app to use push notifications?

I think it's not so because the client SSL cetfication needed to send request to APNs. So only I have to create a new certification and install it to my server to connect to APNs. Is that right?

And I want to know if app transfer changes the Bundle ID.

I think if the Bundle ID changed and end users updated an app, push notifications will become to not work.

I hope you will be able to provide the information.

Replies

I'm in the same situation and I ask myself the same questions ... Did you find answers ?

Wow no one answers this forum. Can't even get a straightforward solution to this problem.

I know this is an old post, but I want to provide answers for anyone else who comes across this.

1) App transfer does NOT change the bundle id

2) After transfer, push notifications will continue to work normally using the original APNS certificate in the old account. DO NOT revoke this certificate.

3) A new APNS certificate will need to be generated and installed on the server only when:

a) The original certificate is expiring OR

b) A new version of the app is published

4) The new APNS certificate will be able to send push notifications to both the new version of the app as well as the old version.

Basically, as long as you don't revoke the original certificate too soon, everything will be seamless - as it should be.

First part is not true...

after app transfer - push notifications stop working.

messages are not delivered to applications which was installed after the app was transfered...

SBShane's description matches the behavior we are seeing, but it doesn't match Apple's docs on transferring an app.

From the Apple docs:

Associated client SSL certificates for push notifications aren’t transferred. If the app uses Apple Push Notifications service (APNs), the recipient needs to create a client SSL certificate using the recipient’s account at developer.apple.com to reenable it.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Chapters/TransferringAndDeletingApps.html

However, in our experience the app continued to receive push notifications after the transfer. We are going to be pushing an app update next week, so we'll soon know if push notifications continue to work after a transferred app is updated. We are prepared to update the cert, but want to better understand what's going on. In any case, it looks like the Apple docs need to be updated.

• hello mgh14, does APNS at old version of your app works fine after you update your cert? thank you very much

• @mgh14, what happened after the update of the new cert?

Add a Comment

Hi mgh14,

Could you share your experience about pushing app update without regenerating APNs certificate?

Could you share your experience about pushing app update without regenerating APNs certificate? This is important for an app we have and are in the process of transfering but depends on push