Testing File Data Protection

Hi,

We are using file data protection in our App. Some files use NSFileProtectionComplete and some use NSFileProtectionCompleteUntilFirstUserAuthentication. According to our tests (we are using iExplorer), files with NSFileProtectionComplete attribute are not accessible and readable. On the other hand, files with NSFileProtectionCompleteUntilFirstUserAuthentication are readable and does not seem to be protected. Also, we had observed that App downloaded from the store are completely unreadable.

- Does the NSFileProtectionCompleteUntilFirstUserAuthentication is effective only when the App is downloaded from the store?

- Does iExplorer is the right tool to test data protection?

(XCode 7.3.1 + iOS 9.3.1 + iExplorer 3.9.9.1)

Thanks!

David

Replies

Does iExplorer is the right tool to test data protection?

You have to be careful here. You typically run iExplorer on a Mac that’s already trusted by the device. That trust relationship is critical to supporting iTunes sync and backup, but it gives apps running on the Mac more capabilities than they would otherwise have.

I’m not going to pretend I understand the details of this. Rather, I’ll point you at the iOS Security document, which covers it in some depth (in the Keybags section).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

WWDC runs Mon, 13 Jun through to Fri, 17 Jun. During that time all of DTS will be at the conference, helping folks out face-to-face. http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/