More updates than purchases

One of my apps has a lifetime download count of 4800 or so. I recently updated it, and iTunes Connect shows a total of about 6400 updates over the last four days. I'm scratching my head; how can more people update to the latest version than downloaded the app to begin with? I've never seen this before—does anybody know what's going on?

And no, I'm not talking about the iTC mobile app. This is all in the website.

Replies

1 person....multiple devices. Don't forget they can download once on their computer, then propagate their devices, then update from those devices _and_ the computer.

As well, there are cases where schools share apple IDs....

Your theories make sense, but I forgot to mention that this is an OS X app. And the number of updates continues to grow: now it's at 7700. I find it hard to believe that there on average 1.6 Macs associated with each customer Apple ID. I should think that the ratio is more like 1.2 or lower.

Although, now that I think about it, about 60% of my sales are in the Asia Pacific region (which is weird because it's a new app that I haven't been able to localize yet), which in general tends more toward multigenerational households. That could explain the high proportion. Does that make sense to you?

You know what, never mind. I just looked at the proportion of updates by territory, and it's almost exactly the same as the sales. The whole Asia thing is just a red herring, I guess.

Ah, there is that, yes.

I think it depends on how many updates you have released so far. For example, if one person downloaded your app and you released 3 updates, you have 1 download and 3 updates. Not totally sure tho...