HLS Audio-Only Stream with Image doesn't display image in iOS 9.x

In older versions of Quicktime and the Safari, when you played back an HLS audio-only stream with images embedded as ID3 'APIC' tags, the player would display a preview image during playback. In iOS 9.x, it will play back the audio, but no image will be displayed.

I've created a radar:

There shouldn't have been any chages to this, correct?

Replies

We've a similar problem. The're news about this bug?

Image doesn't appear too when we have <video> tag and HLS audio stream, with poster image attribute

Turns out showing the JPEG image while playing an audio-only stream was supported by MPMoviePlayer, but is not on AVKit.

There's news about this issue?

Thanks for your previous reply on this thread. Is there any documented mention of this change in HLS audio only poster image support for iOS devices using AVKit versus MPMoviePlayer?

Is it official that poster images in audio-only playlists is not supported?

Is there a workaround?

Furthermore, if I were looking at both APIs, where would I find what you mentioned "showing the JPEG image while playing an audio-only stream was supported by MPMoviePlayer, but is not on AVKit"

Thank you

The support for automatically displaying poster images was in MPMoviePlayer, but it is not in AVKit and it is not clear whether it will be added.

If you want this with AVKit the process is basically:

1) Create an AVPlayerItemMetadataOutput every time we get a new audio-only AVPlayerItem

2) Add the output to playerItem

3) Set an object as the AVPlayerItemMetadataOutput’s AVPlayerItemMetadataOutputPushDelegate

4) When the metadata is image data, create an image from the data and display it (again, assuming we’re audio-only).

I've been told that the AVTimedAnnotationWriter sample shows how this can be done.