Lost all old iCloud notes after upgrade to iOS 9 beta

I upgraded my phone to iOS 9 Developer Beta and my MacBook to El Capitan Developer Beta. I had several notes stored on iCloud and they are all now missing.

On the desktop Notes app I don't see them at all.

On the iPhone, I briefly saw them when I first launched the new Notes app, they were in a separate group called "ICLOUD" with the option to "Copy to iCloud". I selected this and the Notes app crashed. Now when I re-run the app all the notes are gone.

Is there any way to recover my notes?

Replies

Have you checked for them at iCloud.com?

Same thing happened to me except I upgraded from OSX. They are not on the icloud.com either.

Try beta.icloud.com. All my notes are there.

Hi,

The same happened to me...

My old notes aren't in www.icloud.com nor in beta.icloud.com nor in my iPhone.

• if I create a new note (Note 1) in my iPhone it doesn't appear in www.icloud.com nor in beta.icloud.com
  • if I create a new note (Note 2) in www.icloud.com, it doesn't appear in beta.icloud.com nor in my iPhone
  • if I create a new note (Note 3) in beta.icloud.com, it doesn't appear in www.icloud.com nor in my iPhone

and I end having three different notes, one in each system.

It seems that synchronization between them is broken.

And, if I try to sign-out from www.icloud.com or beta.icloud.com after creating the note, it warns me that there is data unsaved... even if I do it after a long time. And, of course, if I sign-out and sign-in again the notes have disappeared.

Any suggestions?

Hi ehsan,

I'm guessing that after you updated to iOS 9 on your iPhone, you were asked if you would like to update Notes to use the new features and you said "Yes"

What happened then is that, because the format of the old notes and the new ones is different, Apple split off your old notes and kept them for access on pre-iOS 9 devices and made a new Notes storage for your iOS 9 "super"-notes.

To get them back on your iPhone, you need to open Notes on a Mac running (pre-El Capitan) OS X and open the Notes app there.

Using that, move all your old notes into a non-iCloud account, like Gmail or whatever, and then, when you add the Gmail account to your iPhone (if it isn't already added), then you'll have access to them again.

Post back if you have any trouble with it,

Max.