Annoying iOS/plist web caching issue

Here’s me prob: I’m developing an app using a Enterprise distribution certificate and a valid, current provisioning profile. An updated version of my app (say version #38), with an updated manifest file (.plist file) goes onto the server that we’re using for app testing. The older .ipa (version #37) is removed from the server.

Safari on my iPad still tries to download version #37, even though that version is no longer there and the manifest file now points to version #38.

When I address the download page with any other iOS device, that device sees the correct version.

Clearing the web data, entirely, does no good. One thing that worked, briefly, was to update the iOS version. That cleared the problem, but only once.

It seems that iOS is not really clearing ‘web data’ when asked to, doesn’t it?

Has anybody seen this bloody pain before?

Replies

I also have an Enterprise application that I am hosting on our internal site, and installing via link to a plist file, and experienced this exact same issue. I dropped in a new version of the .ipa, and updated the bundle version in the plist file. but my app wouldnt pick up the change when i ran it. I pull the plist file and do a version comparison to launch the update install, and I was getting nothing.

I had to recycle the iis app pool our site is running on to get the change the be picked up by the app, and start updating everyone. I dont know why, and its inconvenient to me to have to recycle the app pool each time I make an update. Perhaps someone can give us a tip to make updating our apps a little cleaner, is there a way to prevent my device from caching the plist file?