MDM lost mode no wifi connection after restart

Hello,

I have send an enable lost mode cmd to my device and the device changed to lost mode. Then I send a locate device cmd to the device and the location was reported. Then I restarted the device and send a disable lost mode cmd to it. Now the device shows no Wifi connection and remains in lost mode. It does not connect to the mdm server anymore. Also the battery status is shown in yellow/orange. It looks like the device is in a special "Lost Mode". Is this normal? How can I disable the lost mode now, when the device does not connect to the mdm server?

Device: iPad mini 4 Wifi only, iOS 9.3.1, supervised, DEP, password set

Replies

I used the maintenance mode to reinstall the iPad. That's possible becasue it is a test device. But a costumer device would loose all local data. So what is the solution in practise?

I think this problems occurs, because the device is restarted, so the keychain is locked, but because of the lost mode enabled, you can't enter the passcode, so the key chain remains locked. So the device can't access the wlan password and can not activate wlan. So the question remains: How can I disable the (mdm initiated) lost mode, without using maintenance mode and/or restoring from image or backup? That can't be the solution for customers.

Solution would be: Make it possible to enter device and SIM passcode if lost mode is enabled.

I have the same problem. I had to restore the device with the itunes.

I am testing with a VPN connection and when you set to lost, after a while the device keep on the Wifi network but is not able to connect to the VPN network, so the only possibility is to restore.

My solution for that was to install first a VPN payload that be allways connect while the device is on the wifi, and that works.

But if you restart the device for some reason, then the device is not able to connect to the wifi so that to the VPN.

if you need to unlock the key chain because there is a passcode set, there is a little hack I found.

If you have it in lost mode. Send the lock device command to it (it wont actually override the lost mode at this point), then restart the device

Once the device starts up, for a short while you will see you are able to swipe out of the device lock and enter the passcode, after a couple of seconds it will realise you have bypassed lost mode and got to the home screen and so will then lock you out again, this will obviously unlock the keychain maybe giving you enough time to send a disable lost mode command

Now I understand your issue is a bit different because you have no wifi to even get the lock command so you might be able to do this trick by sending the lock command via Apple Configurator instead? Im not sure if AC works when in lost mode?

Edit: sorry I just realised you cant lock the device using AC

we have now encoubntered this problem, very poor. i have just posted in our MDM forum and then found this thread.

my forum post - https://community.sophos.com/products/mobile/f/sophos-mobile-control/103205/managed-lost-mode-on-none-cellular-devices-cannot-turn-it-off

i assume no one has found a work wwork arround for this?

Many thanks

Andy

SHARE YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION: TO iPad USB

LIGHTNING CABLE! IT WORKS! IOS11.4 USING JAMF PRO

• This does not always work, "when it does it is fantastic" FYI to all, Connect an apple usb cable, what ever one you need to connect your mac to your ipad / phone. settings sharing, while toggled off, click internet sharing, check its set to wifi, under that check the box for usb, click done, slide the silder to on, click start and most of the time then you can port your macs wifi through the cable to the ios device, and any stacked MDM commands should then execute.

• but in my case, iPad air 4 mdm send a lost mode, ipad is in lostmode, was left stale for a while untill found and finally dropped into me. the wifi is off, and the usb theather is not working as the device is not recognised when you look at the options to share in the internet sharing settings. if only there were a way to enable and join an ios device to a wifi while in disabled / lost mode.

• OMG, I can't tell you how much time you saved me. I had a student iPad that I put in lost mode as a means for "Time Out". They let it die and it had a passcode on it - I enabled the setting on my Mac and plugged in the cable and it received the command from the MDM.

Tip: you MUST have Allow USB Accessories when locked turned on. Luckily, I have this automatically set by a profile so I didn't have to worry about it.

Add a Comment