10 Replies
      Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 7:46 AM by KMT
      yubotse.us Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Today when I built my app to the device, I got the warning that the provisioning profile is expiring soon (on 5/7/2016), and I'm not a member of paid Apple Developer Programs. Also I found that renaming the bundle identifier didn't resolve the issue. Is that okay to ignore this warning?

• Re: The provisioning profile is expiring soon
          adiwajshing Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

can't you just create a new provisioning profile to sign with? Apple may test your app out before the 7th or the expired profile may not cause any problem, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

mariojoerres Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I got the same problem.

inz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I also have this problem. Changed to a ompletely different Apple ID and still got this warning. There are tons of solutions on the internet but all seem to be for people having paid accounts. I cant even enter the site where you update (https://developer.apple.com/account/ios/certificate) it just redirects me to https://developer.apple.com/account/#/welcome where I can't do anything.

doraemoncito Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm now seeing this issue too. Everything has been working just fine for a year and all of a sudden I have started seeing the message "the provisioning profile is expiring soon" when using the free personal account to rebuild my iOS projects.

has anyone come across a working solution?

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,485 points)

'free provisioning' profiles are now valid for one week only, after which time you will need to create a new one.

doraemoncito Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for the quick reply.  Did you discover this through experimentation or is it officially documented somewhere?

After it began being reported here anecdotally, I looked for docs and came up dry (wasn't the first time I was unable to find details on the topic, which is what led me to document the process for replies here). I'd love to know why it's been an available process for a while now without process docs....so. no surprise when someone has been sideloading for a year only to find that is no longer practical. Must have been a silent change to deal with abuse?

I then made one myself and checked and verified it was due to expire after one week.

YehudaV Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Is it possible to get a step by step instruction how to create a provisional profile or how to add a new one to an existing one? I'm new in all these stuff and couldn't find anywhere how to make it. I like to add Apple TV into the provisional profile I have created during the Apple ID registration, but now is gone.

Please help me out.

Thank you

Free provisioning*/testing on your device:

• From within Xcode 7.x (Mac only), navigate to “Xcode—->Preferences—->Accounts.” Hit the '+' icon below left to add your Apple ID. After you add your account, it will show within the main account window on the right.

• Select your account, hit the “View Details” button and wait for them to load.

• Now create the 'signing identity' used to create a provisioning profile used for device testing - Hit the “Create” button next to the 'iOS development' label. When completed, hit ‘Done’.

• Connect your device and select it as build destination via the 'active scheme' dropdown to the right of the play and stop icons.

• In target's 'General' tab/settings:

• a. Set app identifier you want for your free profile

• b. Set team id as your apple id

• c. Hit 'Fix Issue' button below the provisioning profile warning

• Run your app with your device selected.

You may have to 'fix issue' more than once - keep at it so Xcode can step thru them as needed.

Notes:

- The profile will be valid for 1 week, after which time you will need to recreate a new one.

- There is a limit to how many apps you can build and test to your device.

- Maximum number of devices allowed not known exactly, but if same as paid account, the limit is 100

- What you can/can't do w/free provisioning is listed here:    https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/SupportedCapabilities/SupportedCapabilities.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012582-CH38-SW1

- If this is about creating an /ipa to manually hand off, select Build For Archiving under the project menu, not ‘Run’.

- If you have, or plan to have, a paid developer account, be sure to use a unique/different apple ID for each account.

- From the Xcode-b1 release notes 6.13.16:

• Free accounts may experience issues launching apps on the watch for the first time.Workaround: Launch the app manually on the device and click “Trust” when the security sheet appears. You should be able to launch the app from Xcode. (26629630)