Watch OS 2 requirement

"Starting June 1, 2016, all new watchOS apps submitted to the App Store must be native apps built with the watchOS 2 SDK or later."

Our iOS app contains both a Watch OS 2 component and a Watch OS 1 component. Users of Watch OS 2 find themselves using the Watch OS 2 version; users of Watch OS 1 find themselves using the Watch OS 1 version.

I'm finding it hard to understand whether Apple's announcement (shown above) means

1. that we should provide a Watch OS 2 app (which we do)
  2. or that we should remove the Watch OS 1 app (which we can, but it might inconvenience someone).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

This requirement is a little vague. It says "new" watch apps so I must assume current watch apps will continued to be allowed to support both, maybe grandfathered in. The watch connectivity framework is for communication with the parent phone. One of the biggest features of watch OS 2 is watch connectivity so I can't see that going away but honestly I don't know.

You can submit updates to existing Watch OS 1 apps on the store.. As mentioned by an Apple Employee. https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/133715#133715